Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vatican at it again

DAR TA DAR, here comes the church charging over the hill again. Don't worry about Poverty, starving children or even Peodaphilia. They turn a blind eye to those little inconveniences just so long as we stay in our wheelchairs!!

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    keeping on...I feel the same. I actually had a woman say to me recently "would you kill a child in order to improve the life of your own, I wouldn't". The only response I had was "you have no right to make that statement until you walk in my shoes".
    That woman is a fucking idiot, Sharon. If she believes goo is a child, then I hope she collects semen and freezes it to preserve life.

Quote Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
    DAR TA DAR, here comes the church charging over the hill again. Don't worry about Poverty, starving children or even Peodaphilia. They turn a blind eye to those little inconveniences just so long as we stay in our wheelchairs!!
    What's so ironic about your statement is that Jesus told the Pharisees the same exact thing. He told them that they strained at gnats while swallowing camels, basically accusing them of nitpicking over bullshit while tolerating greater evils.

I think that Wise saliently framed the ethical argument regarding hESC when he said that it was inconsistent to support IVF, but be opposed to hESC research in which excess blastocysts are discarded as medical waste. Having said that, I find it curious that there are so many staunch advocates of hESC of research on this forum, but apparently less avid support for potentially more efficacious treatments with induced neurogenic cells, iPC, SCNT, etc., which would obviate potential immune rejection complications. I think that all avenues should be pursued until we have definitive answers and of course there is cross fertilization in research. Having said all that, I can't help but think that this issue is being used as an excuse to bash Catholicism by some bigots.

Quote Originally Posted by PaidMyDues View Post
    Having said all that, I can't help but think that this issue is being used as an excuse to bash Catholicism by some bigots.
    You ever notice some of those bigots are Catholic themselves? Some of the most vocal critics of the Vatican come from Catholic laypeople who're sick of the hierarchy. Bashing the Vatican and Catholicism are completely different. I hate the former, while I love the latter. Yes, I love Catholicism. As a religion, I find it to be fascinating with its history (barring the murder of the unconverted), traditions, and theology. I absolutely love going inside cathedrals, admiring statues and painted glass, the beautiful decorations.

No priest ever molested me and I went to Catholic school from 5th to 10th grade. I even addressed a sexual issue with a priest in private at a young age and he was completely adult and professional with me. He was a genuinely good man.

Quote Originally Posted by PaidMyDues View Post
    I think that Wise saliently framed the ethical argument regarding hESC when he said that it was inconsistent to support IVF, but be opposed to hESC research in which excess blastocysts are discarded as medical waste. Having said that, I find it curious that there are so many staunch advocates of hESC of research on this forum, but apparently less avid support for potentially more efficacious treatments with induced neurogenic cells, iPC, SCNT, etc., which would obviate potential immune rejection complications. I think that all avenues should be pursued until we have definitive answers and of course there is cross fertilization in research. Having said all that, I can't help but think that this issue is being used as an excuse to bash Catholicism by some bigots.
    If it's really a matter of being "pro-life", why isn't the Catholic church throwing the full force of its resources into those potentially more efficacious treatments?

Angry vatacan

They are too busy paying off guys, who the priests molested as young boys over the past 50 years! I guess they will have to sell off some more relics to pay the courts fees.
    Jake's Pop

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    If it's really a matter of being "pro-life", why isn't the Catholic church throwing the full force of its resources into those potentially more efficacious treatments?
    Actually, they are funding enteric stem cell research. How many other religions are doing so?

The Vatican Supports Stem Cell Research?

The Church Aims to Fund International Research Group to Back Adult Stem Cells

By COURTNEY HUTCHISON
    ABC News Medical Unit

Apr. 23, 2010—

The Catholic Church may be the last organization you'd expect to fund stem cell research, but that's precisely what they're planning to do.
    The Church is expected to provide financial support to help establish the International Intestinal Stem Cell Consortium, which will kick off its research today in Rome.
    No, the church hasn't done an ideological 180. In fact, this new research aims to do away with the need for the embryonic stem cell research that the Vatican has called "gravely immoral."
    "We are trying to explore stem cell research aside from embryonic stem cells," says Dr. Alessio Fasano, lead researcher on the project and director of the Center for Celiac Research at the University of Maryland School Medicine. "Of the adult stem cells out there, intestinal cells are the most active that we know of."
    Fasano says they pitched this research project to the Vatican in hopes that the church would want to support an alternative to embryonic research.
    "Rather than say they don't want [stem cell research], it would be more logical to say 'Is there a better way?'," Fasano says, and he believes that using adult stem cells, harvested from the intestines of the patients themselves, could be that "better way."
    Though the church's interest in funding research is a welcome addition, doctors say, some stem cell researchers worry that the Vatican's agenda in this project is to argue against the need for embryonic stem cell research.
    "I applaud the Vatican for funding any type of research," says Dr. George Daley, director of the Stem Cell Transplantation Program at Children's Hospital Boston, "but this is another attempt to pit adult stem cells against embryonic [ones]" when the two are used in very different ways and have potential for different conditions.

http://abcnews.go.com/print?id=10447981

Desperate people usually look for comfort in the faith, what it is good for Catholic church. More suffering, more followers.

You guys ammuse me, seriously. When someone says something negative about Islam you guys jump on them and defend Islam "it's not all of them, it's actually a peaceful religion, you don't know what what you are talking about because you are uneducated about it etc. etc." but as soon as someone wants to bash the Catholic church it's a feeding frenzy. Liberals really do stand on their heads and tell the rest of the world that they are upside down. Some of you talk about being sheep but you do exactly what is "cool" and "funny" and "in" in the Liberal world, just like bashing the Catholic church while defending Islam. It's just too funny! Radical Muslims blow themselves up in the name of their religion, want to instill Sharia law everywhere they can (including America), live their entire lives trying to convert (submit) all non believers. But hey, leave them alone! It's not all of them, that's not what it's really like! But as soon as the church says it isn't happy with using stem cells, an "offense" no where near as deadly as the things I mentioned, it is on like Donkey Kong! Pathetic. Many of you talked about Catholics being on their knees and falling in line. What about Islam? Their book tells them to convert all non believers at any cost and you guys bitching about the church will be the first to downplay it. Give me a break!
    Ken

Guns don't kill people. Daddys with cute daughters do!