Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Department of Defense Gives $5.4 Million to Spinal Cord Injury Research

Department of Defense Gives $5.4 Million to Spinal Cord Injury Research

Released: 8/17/2010 9:00 AM EDT
    Source: Methodist Hospital, Houston
    Newswise — The United States Department of Defense (DoD) awarded the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation a $5.4 million grant to support the expansion of translational research to find treatments for military men and women with spinal cord injuries.

http://www.newswise.com/articles/dep...njury-research

thats good news money is going into sci

I just hope most of the money goes into treatment and not just expanding their facuities and such
    "The new DoD award will enable NACTN to bring several new military hospitals into the network"
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

We have a similar story in the UK whereby Tony Blair is donating all the proceeds (approx £4m) from his book for a rehabilitation centre for war vets returning from Afghanistan and Iraq injured.

A worthy cause of course but when Spinal Research UK only raises £2m a year I wonder whether there was a better place to donate.

Also, this swanky new rehabilitation facility will be built by mercenary defence contractors at a massive profit no doubt. Where poor old me has to fly abroad just to make use of a Lokomat.

Oh what a grumpy old cynic I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    We have a similar story in the UK whereby Tony Blair is donating all the proceeds (approx £4m) from his book for a rehabilitation centre for war vets returning from Afghanistan and Iraq injured.

A worthy cause of course but when Spinal Research UK only raises £2m a year I wonder whether there was a better place to donate.

Also, this swanky new rehabilitation facility will be built by mercenary defence contractors at a massive profit no doubt. Where poor old me has to fly abroad just to make use of a Lokomat.

Oh what a grumpy old cynic I am.
    Any cynicism you may display is well founded and dwarfed by the U.S. government's cynicism in granting just 5.4 millions to research SCI to troops injured in a trillion dollar war. That's 0.0000054 of the money spent on the Iraq war. There's always plenty of money to hurt, it's the healing that goes begging.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 08-20-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Vike, good news for sure. It's a shame that injuries in war have to be the thrust to do research and clinical trials. On the other hand; what a tribute it would be to see vcictims from the war walk again.

''There's always plenty of money to hurt, it's the healing that goes begging.''

Ain't that the awful truth. It pains just thinking about it.
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Any cynicism you may display is well founded and dwarfed by the U.S. government's cynicism in granting just 5.4 millions to research SCI to troops injured in a trillion dollar war. That's 0.0000054 of the money spent on the Iraq war. There's always plenty of money to hurt, it's the healing that goes begging.
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Keeping on you are so right about that, I am also a victim of the iraq war and I would hope something great comes out of this, not just for me but for each and everyone of us that suffer from SCI.

wow that's like crumbs to them. they basically just found 5 million under the sofa in a corner and chucked it to research to look good.

maintenance on 1 F-22, after 1 mission, is $22 million. We have over 120 that practice daily.

maintanence on an F-22 after one mission is $22 million? I know the government is wasteful, but that doesn't even sound possible? Astonishing. I can fathom 2 million maybe
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature