Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There is No Cure for Spinal Cord Injury

There is No Cure for Spinal Cord Injury

I got breast cancer a couple of years ago even though it was low grade at the time, I decided to refuse radiation and to never go for a mammogram and to refuse all forms of further cancer examination and/or cancer treatment. My doctor doesn't know why because I don't think he'll understand anyway but it's because cancer will be less painful to die from than spinal cord injury. I'm ready to let it take me and am doing nothing to prevent it from doing so. Some people might think this is weird but I (and I'm sure most patients with severe spinal injury) would agree that this decision is not only NOT stupid, but is actually the most sensible option available.

Canadian

Has the "c" progressed? I'm not really one to think any decision is weird if it's made it in a clear consious manner.

Welcome, this is a good place to be; The support and understanding is incredible. If you want to vent some steam and argue there's the Politics section lol.

I wish I could take it all away from you. P.

If you would, fill out your bio so we know to whom we're speaking with.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie250 View Post
    it's because cancer will be less painful to die from than spinal cord injury
    I can't give my opinion on your decision because that's just out of my range. But i'm doubtfull about the painfulness of cancer death...
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Julie, welcome to the forum. That is quite a blow, to receive a cancer diagnosis on top of SCI. Like OxSquidy, I can't comment on your decision - it's such a personal choice and no one but you can know what went into it; the thing is, breast cancer metastatizes to bone and that can be a very painful situation. Whatever you do ultimately, I wish you the very best.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 08-15-2010 at 07:03 PM.

I edited my post above slightly, to say that bone metastasis can be a painful situation. I am very sensitive to your situation, as I had breast cancer in 2001 before the MS became such a problem and I know a little bit about the difficulties involved in the decision-making process - each person's circumstances are different and individual choices are sacrosanct, as far as I'm concerned. Blessings to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie250 View Post
    ISome people might think this is weird but I (and I'm sure most patients with severe spinal injury) would agree that this decision is not only NOT stupid, but is actually the most sensible option available.
    After watching my mother die from lung cancer in 1993, I saw how chemo ravaged her and made the decision not to go that route if ever faced with it. So far, I haven't had to see if I would actually refuse treatment.

My father made the decision when diagnoised with bladder cancer a few years ago, because of his age, 86, and that my mother is dead. He passed away last year after his bladder cancer went to his bones. He was really only "ill" about a month prior to his death. Hospice was only involved for about 3 weeks. He made the choice when to call them in.

I believe it is a beautiful thing when one can make a conscious decision as to "how" they will die. Of course, we aren't always given that choice, but if nothing else, I hope my death involves liquid morphine.

I wish you peace.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm calling troll on this one...
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

whether or not your post is authentic, it is something I have thought of for myself. I had a melanoma removed recently and have another one to be removed next week, the thought of not doing anything about them and letting the cancer take hold has been going through my mind a lot.

Troll or no troll, the post poses an interesting dilemma, which, it appears, many have tuned over in their minds.

SCI is such a bear to manage in the best of circumstances -- every day is something of a battle -- it's hard to conceive of how one could manage an aggressive treatment of an additional health crisis, particularly a lethal form of cancer.

To borrow from military parlance, I would be reluctant to open a second theater of operations if I received a diagnosis of cancer. Enough already.

Julie, sounds like you're dealing with some tough stuff. Can you please fill out your profile?

Thanks.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com