Thread: Melatonin plus exercise-based neurorehabilitative therapy for SCI

Melatonin plus exercise-based neurorehabilitative therapy for SCI

J Pineal Res. 2010 Jul 7.

Melatonin plus exercise-based neurorehabilitative therapy for spinal cord injury.

Hong Y, Palaksha KJ, Park K, Park S, Kim HD, Reiter RJ, Chang KT.

Cardiovascular & Metabolic Disease Center ; Department of Rehabilitation Science in Interdisciplinary PhD Program, College of Biomedical Science & Engineering, Inje University, Gimhae ; National Primate Research Center (NPRC), Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology (KRIBB), Ochang ; Department of PM & R. (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation), College of Medicine, Inje University, Busan, Korea ; Department of Cellular & Structural Biology, The UT Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX, USA.

Abstract
    Spinal cord injury (SCI) is damage to the spinal cord caused by the trauma or disease that results in compromised or loss of body function. Subsequent to SCI in humans, many individuals have residual motor and sensory deficits that impair functional performance and quality of life. The available treatments for SCI are rehabilitation therapy, activity-based therapies, and pharmacological treatment using antioxidants and their agonists. Among pharmacological treatments, the most efficient and commonly used antioxidant for experimental SCI treatment is melatonin, an indolamine secreted by pineal gland at night. Melatonin's receptor-independent free radical scavenging action and its broad-spectrum antioxidant activity makes it an ideal antioxidant to protect tissue from oxidative stress-induced secondary damage after SCI. Owing to the limitations of an activity-based therapy and antioxidant treatment singly on the functional recovery and oxidative stress-induced secondary damages after SCI, a melatonin plus exercise treatment may be a more effective therapy for SCI. As suggested herein, supplementation with melatonin in conjunction with exercise not only would improve the functional recovery by enhancing the beneficial effects of exercise but would reduce the secondary tissue damage simultaneously. Finally, melatonin may protect against exercise-induced fatigue and impairments. In this review, based on the documented evidence regarding the beneficial effects of melatonin, activity-based therapy and the combination of both on functional recovery, as well as reduction of secondary damage caused by oxidative stress after SCI, we suggest the melatonin combined with exercise would be a novel neurorehabilitative strategy for the faster recovery after SCI.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20626592
    “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

Does anyone has any experience with Melatonin as supplement?

Several more articles connect hormon / neurotransmiter enhancer Melatonin deficiency after spinal cord injury directly related to ability of non-damaged neurons in incomplete SCI to transmit signals.

Idea is to use some melatonin suplemenets and to excercise....anyone try this?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

New, here...But I've long been using melatonin and valerian root to treat various types of resistant pain and muscle spasm. I am an incomplete walking injury so it's really important I stay away from medicines that adversely affect my ability to function. Aside from the initial sleepiness (first few months) and working through it, I've personally found melatonin and valerian benificial on a number of my conditions...the latest sci.

Lavi
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderthistle View Post
    New, here...But I've long been using melatonin and valerian root to treat various types of resistant pain and muscle spasm. I am an incomplete walking injury so it's really important I stay away from medicines that adversely affect my ability to function. Aside from the initial sleepiness (first few months) and working through it, I've personally found melatonin and valerian benificial on a number of my conditions...the latest sci.

Lavi
    hi lavi,

i am trying to wean off baclofen and looking for alternative. can u tell me where can i buy melatonin and valerian? and what is the proper dosage?

thank you

The dosage will vary with every person. You might want to start with one valerian capsule then move up in dosage. I use the 450mg capsules. It may make you sleepy. It also stinks! The valerian works on the brain's valium receptors. I take the 3 mg melatonin during the day.

I take a lot of each of these. I've been using them a long time, when I reach a 'magic number' say 6 of each but still no relief...I go to a prescription for a while to break resistance then start back with 1-2 each. I will also go off one, but not the other, then change again. I build up tolerance too easily.

You can find these in the supermarket, health food store or pharmacy.

Remember to mention these to your doctor.

Lavi

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderthistle View Post
    The dosage will vary with every person. You might want to start with one valerian capsule then move up in dosage. I use the 450mg capsules. It may make you sleepy. It also stinks! The valerian works on the brain's valium receptors. I take the 3 mg melatonin during the day.

I take a lot of each of these. I've been using them a long time, when I reach a 'magic number' say 6 of each but still no relief...I go to a prescription for a while to break resistance then start back with 1-2 each. I will also go off one, but not the other, then change again. I build up tolerance too easily.

You can find these in the supermarket, health food store or pharmacy.

Remember to mention these to your doctor.

Lavi
    hi lavi,

thank u for your reply. did u stop taking spasm meds cold turkey when u started the valerian and melatonin?

I had flexeril and robaxin rather than baclofen because they mix with clonazepam (anxiety) I stopped everything at once because my mind was a mess. I started using the herbals and flexing more in as my body adjusted. I do take Neurontin at night to combat nerve pain (I need some sleep) I will occasionally take a couple of robaxin at night. I've been told the herbals don't interfere with them.

If they don't interfere with baclofen then you may be able to step down baclofen and step up herbals if you can't go cold turkey.