Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Reaction to Loud, Startling Noises

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    I don't buy it. You mean quads survive death panels?
    Yes Todd, even poor ones!

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    Depending upon how you got injured, PTSD may be responsible for an exaggerated startle response.

I get startled by the sound of my refrigerator compressor turning on. It is that bad. And yes, the physical pain is really something.
    I don't have PTSD, so that can't be the reason for my discomfort with the noises. Good suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
    i have the exact same experience and i also notice an immediate "fight" response where i get really angry that i was startled so bad.
    Yes, I forgot to mention how angry I get when the startle episode happens. I had never considered it a fight or flight thing. I suppose thats possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    It's a physical pain here, like electrocution of lower limbs. If I have PTSD from all the events of the past 10 years they might as well send me to Iraq or something. I have been threatening to move to Somalia and become a pirate. Told Jake I'd give Dingo an eyepatch. I'll be the lady in the chair growling Aaarrgghhhh.
    You could be the first wheelchair pirate. Let me know how that works out.

Quote Originally Posted by flicka View Post
    I found a research paper on it:
    Your link to the research paper seems to add validity to my problem. What a nice find you had with that paper. Very impressive. How did you find that?

Quote Originally Posted by partygirl View Post
    I also get the electric shock from my back, down my legs to the tips of my toes from a sudden noise, it's really nasty!
    i am not SCI from an acute accident, mine is from TM and fucked SC investigative surgery, so where does the PTSD come from for me?
    By the way, i thought i was the only one, didn't realise it was common...hooray!
    From the responses to my original post, I'd say this is a pretty common problem, but others are surprised to hear it is not just them. My SCI doctors never heard of it when i told them about my noise experiences.

This can be a very specific symptom of PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) which can occur after any traumatic event (such as sudden onset paralysis or a serious accident, not just combat experiences).

(KLD)

I'm a para due to autoimmune problems.. no stress here and I also jump and the pain is more like a little jolt to me.... I'm also caught off guard more easily.. My fiancee' can quietly walk into a room and when I notice him I about jump out of my skin..LOL
    It is not how we fall that defines us..
    It is how we rise.

This happened to me during the first 3-4 months. It was really annoying.

I'm pretty sure i never had PTSD but after those 4 months it went back to normal, now i'm OK. Hope you lose this too.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Quote Originally Posted by Millard View Post
    Hi WFE,

I had forgotten about walking. During electrical storms, I would have to sit down. A close lightning strike would cause me to fall also. It seemed like this time was when I needed to go to the restroom the worst.

Regards,
    I haven't forgotten about walking, but the thing I remember most is how tired I got all the time. I wonder still why I was so against using a chair, I didn't even have one. I didn't get a chair before it said completely stop and I thought it was too long to walk to the bathroom from my couch That was the time I understood it was time to get a chair.

And I was falling down all the time when I was outside.
    TH 12, 43 years post