Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Useful and Useless Equipment

coat hanger. i drop shit all the time.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Bugzooka. Actually, that's my wife's favorite. I vote freewheel + dog leash. And dog of course...
    Most useless that I can recall - the "Lap Desk". Basically a beanbag with a table sewn to it. My grandma gave it to me right after my injury - I guess she thought my days of using a regular table were over. We all had a lot to learn!

Windows 7 speech recognition software

CripGrip

Keychain loops so I can manipulate zippers

Dull pocketknife to stab open snack bags or pry open cans.

Skateboard grip where the wheels will always be during transfers… Bedroom and bathroom. Just a small square for the wheel taking the most force.

I like to find things that are already used by the rest of the world.

Less is more and it expands your world. Too much adaptive equipment or not enough Darwinism for what you really, really need can chain you to a small patch of the planet.

oddly... a yardstick.

i use that stupid thing to knock things off high shelves or drag out-of-reach stuff out from under desks, etc.

i use keychains for zippers too, though these are currently replacing them: http://www.rei.com/product/701049

i spent far too much money buying myself a reacher which i promptly lost. i then bought 2 long shoehorns at ikea for £1 each, and they do the same job except theyre brightly coloured enough i can leave them in a corner somewhere and not convince myself i lost them. actually, thats probably where the expensive one is...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    oddly... a yardstick.

i use that stupid thing to knock things off high shelves or drag out-of-reach stuff out from under desks, etc.

i use keychains for zippers too, though these are currently replacing them: http://www.rei.com/product/701049
    I use a PVC pipe. A yardstick would probably work better. I am forever dropping the phone under my desk. I might get an old school 1984 nuclear resistant telephone to end that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett View Post
    Scott,
    I love the zipquix....I can think of so many uses. Also love REI, it is amazing the things I can find there that help out. Love my Camelbak water bottle!!!

The best,
    GJ

Taziar.... I can't live without my lap desk. I use it ALL the time in the kitchen. Put hot pans on it to move across the kitchen (wth a hot pad). Stack dishes on it to put them away. Carry in groceries. Carry watering can for plants. Tray to eat off of while watching TV. The list goes on. It is one of the best gifts I was given!

iPhone....

Quote Originally Posted by carolynT12 View Post
    Taziar.... I can't live without my lap desk. I use it ALL the time in the kitchen. Put hot pans on it to move across the kitchen (wth a hot pad). Stack dishes on it to put them away. Carry in groceries. Carry watering can for plants. Tray to eat off of while watching TV. The list goes on. It is one of the best gifts I was given!
    Well there ya go! Grandma wasn't so crazy after all...
    If you wanna talk crazy, lets talk about hot pans on the lap. I'm much too clumsy to try something like that. I'd rather not put the family business at risk of burns or serious injury...
    Anyways, it's amazing how we all come up with different solutions to everyday problems we all face. I never would have thought of using the lap desk to haul dishes and such. I can see how you could get use out it, now that you pointed it out!
    Last edited by taziar; 08-16-2010 at 02:40 PM.