Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Useful and Useless Equipment

Useful and Useless Equipment

There are tons of adaptive devices on the market, and sometimes you have to wonder "does this thing (whatever it is) really work? Is it worth the money?"

My question is:
    What is the best, most useful adaptive device you have ever tired or purchased and what is the worst, most useless adaptive device you have ever come across?

I am a c6/7 complete quad and one of the best devices I use is also the most simple. It is a "cuff" that hold my fork or spoon. It is made out of 1 inch cotton strapping with a pocket to hold the eating utensil and a d-ring and velcro closure fastener. NL makes these for me and has adapted one to hold my pen and a "typing finger" for computer work. These are easy for me to use, inexpensive, and I use them everyday.

One of the worst things I have ever tried (they are simple too) are those rubbers straps with buttons to hold a leg bag in place. I just don't find a redeeming thing to say about them.

What about you??????

Have a good weekend. It is going to be glorious here in N. California.
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    It is a "cuff" that hold my fork or spoon. It is made out of 1 inch cotton strapping with a pocket to hold the eating utensil and a d-ring and velcro closure fastener.
    GJ
    As I recall, these are called Palmer Band's.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

One of the best devices, the Freewheel.

For me its the sliding board without it I'd be F-ed. I usually make my own devices they work better than stuff you can buy.

Custom rigid wheelchairs

FreeWheel for me too.

gloves.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

my tenodesis splint, i love having a pinch grasp for a variety of uses.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

We bought a voice activated TV remote so Dave could change channels. It is not reliable no matter how we try to program or position it.
    A large part of the problem I can't blame on the remote. Dave does not have a voice part of some days and others it can be weak. (can't tolerate speaking valve)
    But even when he has a strong voice it is unreliable.
    I had high hopes for this as spend a lot of time "surfing" for him.

Roho

Air cushion technology.