Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is Pain Management?

What is Pain Management?

It has been said that "Central pain management is stress management". I agree.

Most of us have some medicine of some kind to try to help, but in the end, if you do not control or manage the stress in your life, heavy pain will get you. I imagine everyone has his or her own method. I start with the temperature around me. Then I try to acquire very lightweight clothing. After this, I attempt to persuade those around me to let me do as I must.

Then, nature, music, food and other pleasures. (all of which I would gladly give up if the burning would just stop. Nothing else is pain)

We might well keep in mind that until a cure for central pain is available, stress management is something we cannot ignore. Many are too sick to do anything, but stress management goes beyond that. It involves preserving mental and emotional energy. Sometimes an activity is stress relieving, so it doesn't mean passively sitting there, although many with CP have muscle pain when the muscles are loaded. Stress management is an art, which some do better than others.

I would like to hear how others manage their stress.

Stress management means a lot of saying "no" and it means ignoring thoughtless or "helpful" comments implying weakness on our part. (Wickedly I sometimes wish I had the power to zap the advice givers with central pain head to toe, just for about five minutes, to see how they react. They would learn more in that five minutes than they would learn if they spent a lifetime reading what is in books. One thing they would learn is to give up the one to ten business and manage pain by what it has cost us in life. Let them consider the elements of life to have a value of one hundred total points, assign a value to each element, and then ask us which elements are no longer available to us. They will need our help of course since they take for granted much that we lack)

I think a good day for some is about five percent of what they used to have. I respect everyone here who is enduring their pain, and I also respect those who are not enduring it. It is pain. It breaks everyone eventually--the question is whether we can keep going during the hours or days we are totally broken. Some of you amaze me, and you also break my heart. Bill, Alan, Cass, and others, you need something good to happen, fast. If we could all write as well as hipcrip, and sent annoying letters to congress all the time, maybe this thing could get fully funded. Hey, the banks managed it.
    Last edited by dejerine; 08-14-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Well put as usual, Dejerine. I would also use the word distraction along with stress management. Maybe the terms are synonymous. For me the greatest distraction is the out of doors, nature, beauty of the earth's crust, perhaps more dramatic out west like where you live in Utah or where I am in the Sierra Nevada. For the hours that I can get out and be spared the inward focus I am okay. Even if the increased activity that gets me there will inevitably have a cost later in the day. It is worth the cost and I am learning that I can treat that pharmacologically and get through to the next day.

I think I horrified an AB friend when I said my goal is to get through today somehow and get to the next day. Someone with this pain will understand that concept. I know I don't have it as bad as so many on this site at this point but for 7 years prior I can only describe it with the adjective of horrific. I don't know how bad it is any more. I think one loses the ability to even assess that. That is why I look at the nurse at the Pain Management doctor's office with a vacant look and a pause when she asks me to tell her what ''level'' the pain is right now. How do I explain to an AB 27 y/o healthy nurse what I have lost from this 24/7 365 day experience to the new master of my existence, my new constant companion? I think that after years of living it, the only way to truly get an idea how bad it is would be to have an AB person step into my skin for, like Dejerine said, for 5 minutes, and see what they would do first, cry to their mother or dial 911.
    Back to stress management- exercise and movement in the outdoors is the greatest distraction and feeds my soul enough to make me willing to endure more for another day.
    Then there is the genius of Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms. As long as I can hear the 16 string quartets of Beethoven, the Goldberg Variations of Bach, and Brahm's.... well everything he wrote I should be able to endure.
    Of course the love from family and friends is hugely important.
    I find that adequate sleep is critical, by whatever pharmalogical means necessary.
    I'll stop here......

what do I do?

I make my way outside and sit with my Husky, who gently licks my face and sits next to me so I can lean on him.
    http://brinaesau.blogspot.com

Without change, there would be no butterflies.

I always wanted to zap some people (especially doctors who said I didn't or couldn't have or feel pain below injury level), but for much longer than five minutes.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Stopped seeing my pain doc. love the guy, but why bother, nothing he came up with helped and honestly he really tried.
    stopped the narcs and my GP will give me the zanaflex/skelaxin and misc stuff.

Also broke and the docs add up $$$

I don't know, where I am pain management is an oxymoron.

and stress? I understand the connection dejerine, but I can't manage my stress, external or internal

b
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

i have really been mulling this question over after a recent incident where my "management" was judged by an ab who hasn't been around in 5 yrs. i am going to write something on the whole subject of pain and how grossly it is misunderstood by ppl not in it. i am with alan: zap them with it for more than 5 minutes. that doesn't do justice to 24/7, 24 yrs (in my case). not even close.

i don't know what to do with what i write, but i am going to write it.

bill is right. pain management is an oxymoron. pain survival is perhaps a better term. or pain: the 10th circle of hell. hey, there's the title i'll use when i finish my writing.

and stress definitely big part of surviving this pain. stress from those not in it judging us is, i think, highly underrated. this is why we hide the pain and our methods of dealing with it. well, i'm tired of that stress. i have plenty of other stressors right now. i'm shucking that one.

ty, dej, for this thread.
    Last edited by cass; 08-15-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Bill,

Hello buddy.

Maybe "manage" is also an oxymoron. Of course we manage nothing, We are pummeled all the day long. But I see such tremendous stress in your posts. Is there anything to distract you (like Arndog mentions). The opposite of pain is pleasure. So stock up on ice cream, hawaiian music, or trips through the nearest scenery (whatever reaches you in the least) These things are peanuts to someone in central pain, but we survive by clinging to little things, which we cannot really enjoy, but they represent the closest we are going to get. "For want of a nail...."
    Last edited by dejerine; 08-16-2010 at 02:06 AM.

Cass,

I like the Tenth Circle term very much. I cannot remember Dante. Didn't hell only have seven circles (maybe that was heaven and hell had ten circles). Either way, your tenth circle pretty much sums it up.

You are one of the most remarkable people here, because you were able to do demanding difficult work for a long time with CP. I admire you for the courage and determination which made it possible, even if it may have been too much. I think you are owed some beach time or something where you have to do nothing at all.

When you sit down to write, do not expect it to make you feel better about the pain. Even talking about it makes one more agitated. I tend to burn more when I am at this site. Still, you are a good writer, and I look forward to reading the result. If you and hipcrip authored something, I think that would be awesome.

I think maybe you and I went through Rancho los Amigos at pretty close to the same time. I remember the chief doctor commenting on two women who had been there who had central pain. I wonder if you were one of them. You had a bad experience there, but since it was the first institution that even admitted there was such a thing as central pain, and was the first willing to prescribe any meds for it, I have a more positive idea of them. Up until then, I thought I was from Mars, the way doctors looked at me. In my naieve way, I imagined that being given a diagnosis meant I was line for some effective treatment. Maybe we just had different people taking care of us. Some of the guys I became acquainted with were more depressed after leaving Rancho because they had nothing and no one. Pretty much everyone became an alcoholic or drug addict. So your being able to work as an engineer is WAY above the performance level of the average person. That will not make you feel better about your treatment at Rancho.
    Last edited by dejerine; 08-16-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine View Post
    Cass,

I like the Tenth Circle term very much. I cannot remember Dante. Didn't hell only have seven circles. If so, your tenth circle pretty much sums it up.

You are one of the most remarkable people here, because you were able to do demanding difficult work for a long time with CP. Maybe too long. Still, I admire you for the courage and determination which made it possible, even if it may have been too much. I think you are owed some beach time or something where you have to do nothing at all. When you sit down to write, do not expect it to make you feel better about the pain. Even talking about it makes one more agitated.
    dante's 9th circle of hell is satan frozen in ice, unable to move. thus, my 10th circle.

i need to write. i am tired of silence. ty, dej.

i have avoided pain forum as reading about the pain has agitated me. but it is time, for me, to do more than complain and hide.

Cass- may I ask what you take medication wise to get through the day? And take to sleep if anything? I, too, am impressed that you were able to work as much as you did.