Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Voluntary amputation

Voluntary amputation

My husband is 39 years post injury, c-5/6. He is considering having his feet and/or legs amputated due to quality of life issues. He has pressure sores on his feet, new never before sore on tailbone etc. I would deeply appreciated any input regarding this. This is a serious question, not idle curiousity. I'm his only caregiver, 56 and he is 60.
    Last edited by marie2; 08-12-2010 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Forgot important info.
    "We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us."~~Sartre

Marie--there is wonderful work being done in wound care and limb-salvage clinics for patients facing the same issues your husband is. A product known as Microcyn is being used and has saved more lives and limbs than can be counted. You're in Washington, right? There is a wound care clinic in Lakeview Oregon that specializes in this. It is run by Dr. Cheryl Bongiovanni.

You can contact Dan McFadden at dmcfadden@oculusis.com and he can hook you up with Dr. B, hopefully, or he may know of others closer to your area. Let Dan know you are facing an emergency.

Good luck!

Susanne Lewis

Thank you for the info. I will look into it. Ken said he read about it recently. Maybe the va sci clinic can help.
    "We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us."~~Sartre

I have no advice for you, but want you to know I am sorry that it has even come to thinking about this. My hubby has MS and he has often wondered about having them amputated and have artificial legs made and then maybe he could walk again. Not quite the same I know but, just wanted to let you know I'm sorry.

It's the whole "everything is harder to do now" and my age coupled with my herniated discs. The idea that more mobility and continued independence might be the exchange is awfully heady. We would never have considered this in the past. He has had his share of bad bedsores so it's more like he has reached a tipping point and is thinking about it seriously. My way of thinking about things is to collect information As for MS, disability doesn't discriminate does it? I'm sorry to hear that you've faced the same dilemna. Thank you for sharing, not many people get it.

Marie--Microcyn is not on formulary with Veteran's Adminstration medical clinics yet. It is currently up for clearance to be reimbursed by Medicare/Medicaid, and then the Veteran's Administration will follow suit. This is going to take awhile. You could be treating his sores with Microcyn right away. You just need some professional guidance.

Death rates for elderly patients undergoing lower limb amputation are uncomfortably high. Do some research on that.

Someone here at CC had a double leg amputation, if I remember right, a year or more ago. Can't remember who it was, but maybe he'll see this thread, or someone knows who I'm talking about. He is glad he did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by marie2 View Post
    It's the whole "everything is harder to do now" and my age coupled with my herniated discs. The idea that more mobility and continued independence might be the exchange is awfully heady. We would never have considered this in the past. He has had his share of bad bedsores so it's more like he has reached a tipping point and is thinking about it seriously. My way of thinking about things is to collect information As for MS, disability doesn't discriminate does it? I'm sorry to hear that you've faced the same dilemna. Thank you for sharing, not many people get it.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I had a friend of about 50 years who was a para. He had circulation problems in his legs and had them amputated. He never left the hospital and died from blood clots. He was 65 years old.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I had one leg amputated last month. So far so good but to early to predict

Quote Originally Posted by lisarolls View Post
    I had one leg amputated last month. So far so good but to early to predict
    Blood issues?
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)