Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: all terrain???kinda need help

all terrain???kinda need help

so i kinda screwed myself because i always wait till the last minute. i finally made my mind up on going to the desert this year(burning man). im going regardless but in order to make my life a whole lot easier out there i need the right chair. i just called top end about the crossfire all terrain and the soonest they can get it to me is in 5 weeks, i was hoping more like 2 or 3 weeks. does anyone have one they want to get rid of or possibly let borrow? any suggestions/advice will help..... thanks

Check out the FreeWheel. Much cheaper, and it should get you most anywhere an off road chair will. http://www.sportaid.com/freewheel-al...front-end.html

Blog Entries
    I heartily second the Freewheel recommendation. I love mine.

That is exactly what I need too! How does it do in loose gravel?
    I cant afford that price. Is there any place to get one cheaper?

with the freewheel, loose gravel is kinda like going over carpet. Some resistance, but nothing like when you have those front casters digging in, or having to go slow to keep the front end up. For very deep gravel the back wheels still sink in if you don't keep moving, but I don't have big knobby tires on the rear wheels - perhaps they would help in that situation.

I doubt you'll find much price variation, but it's very much worth the price. Give up the coffee for a few months, cut corners elsewhere. You'll never miss the $500 once it's gone.

I also want to improve my winter travel. You think this kind of wheel could help me? The Freewheel design is tough ?

I have taken my Freewheel to the desert. If it is hardpack with a little adjustment the Freewheel works depending how the deep the sand is on the hardpack. If the sand is pretty soft, Freewheel won't help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistika View Post
    I also want to improve my winter travel. You think this kind of wheel could help me? The Freewheel design is tough ?
    yeah, it's tough. It's a pretty simple design, so there's just not a lot on it to break. Our winters here are fairly mild, but my experience was it definitely helped out. Biggest hassle for me getting through snow is just how uneven and soft packed snow is to get through. You have to keep those front wheels up or they just kinda dig in, and it's difficult to keep a wheelie because it's so uneven and slick. Freewheel picks up those casters and has a larger diameter tire to smooth out the unevenness. Anyways, the guy that designed it uses his daily throughout the Idaho winters. He's a member here, his username is patd, I'm sure he'd be glad to share his experiences.

WHy does iy cost so much?????
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    WHy does iy cost so much?????
    High cost to manufacture? Cause it's not a charity? Not sure...I just know it's worth the price so I don't complain too much.