Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: what is meant when asked about level injury

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    nashville,tn
    Posts
    1

    Question what is meant when asked about level injury

    until trying to start networking i'd never heard about all the different levels used to describe injury to spinal cord. i think i have finally figured out that i'm called something like an incomplete sci. my spinal cord swelled following a cervical surgery 3 years ago. i was paralyzed from the neck down. i have regained a lot of functions back after much hard work, but still have many issues. not being computer savvy, i've been trying to find places where i can talk to people who can understand my issues, and offer advice/support. i'm not sure of the correct lingo now when trying to find help. this sight i just joined this week, so maybe someone can tell me where to go or what to look for.

  2. #2
    good to have u here.

    there is a ton of info on cc

    incomplete is pretty much having anal sensation or not.

    what type of problems are you having?
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

  3. #3
    Senior Member djrolling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Salisbury NC
    Posts
    1,658
    Level refers to where in the spinal column you are injured/affecter The cervical is in the area of the neck the thoracic is in the area of the chest/torso going down lower you have the lumbar followed by the sacral. Your doctor can tell you which vertebra were affected. Yes since you have either feeling or function below your level of injury you are considered incomplete.

    http://www.makoa.org/scimap.htm

    In the link you can see they are numbered by area. I am a T7/8 complete meaning no feeling or function below my level of injury. Sorry you have any need for the forum but glad you found CCC Welcome

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Level refers to where in the spinal column you are injured/affecter The cervical is in the area of the neck the thoracic is in the area of the chest/torso going down lower you have the lumbar followed by the sacral. Your doctor can tell you which vertebra were affected. Yes since you have either feeling or function below your level of injury you are considered incomplete.
    Not quite accurate. Level of injury (LOI) has to do with damage to the cord, not to the spinal column or vertebrae. There are many people who have spinal fractures without damage to the cord. There are many people with SCI who have no damage to the spine at all (for example, those with TM, spinal cord infarctions, etc.). Also, the classification of incomplete (ASIA B, C or D) requires not just some sparing of sensation and/or movement, but very specific sensation (perianal) or movement.

    This article by Dr. Young is a very good description of this:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

    (KLD)

  5. #5
    Hi Grace,

    I'm glad to see you found us. You will find a ton of information here and probably a lot of new friends, also.

    Regards,

    Millard
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne


  6. #6
    Welcome! My husband broke C4,5 and 6, but the damage to his spinal cord when he fell from a tree was C3. I read C2 in one report which might explain why one side of his neck is weaker. He can weakly shrug his shoulders with no movement below. I say he is C3 Complete.
    There was so much confusion after his accident and no one at the hospital he was at was able to explain it. When I looked on line and read why a C4 could do I did not realize how much worse it would be.

  7. #7
    Senior Member djrolling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Salisbury NC
    Posts
    1,658
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Not quite accurate. Level of injury (LOI) has to do with damage to the cord, not to the spinal column or vertebrae. There are many people who have spinal fractures without damage to the cord. There are many people with SCI who have no damage to the spine at all (for example, those with TM, spinal cord infarctions, etc.). Also, the classification of incomplete (ASIA B, C or D) requires not just some sparing of sensation and/or movement, but very specific sensation (perianal) or movement.

    This article by Dr. Young is a very good description of this:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

    (KLD)
    sorry just mis spoke..or typed...lol had it right in my head thanks for the correction. I was injured in 1991 and that is how the complete, incomplete thing was explained to me..

  8. #8
    Senior Member darrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Macomb, Il
    Posts
    2,063
    Quote Originally Posted by grace briggs View Post
    until trying to start networking i'd never heard about all the different levels used to describe injury to spinal cord. i think i have finally figured out that i'm called something like an incomplete sci. my spinal cord swelled following a cervical surgery 3 years ago. i was paralyzed from the neck down. i have regained a lot of functions back after much hard work, but still have many issues. not being computer savvy, i've been trying to find places where i can talk to people who can understand my issues, and offer advice/support. i'm not sure of the correct lingo now when trying to find help. this sight i just joined this week, so maybe someone can tell me where to go or what to look for.

    I know where you are coming from, I had my injury back in Jan. '06 and it took me two years to find out what level of injury I had. All I knew was that I had a Lamenectomy of c3-c6 non of the Dr.'s told me my level of injury till I confronted my Physiatrist. I knew I was incomplete but then she told me that I was c5/c6. It does get scary finding all this info out on your own when the Dr.'s should be the ones to tell you up front in stead of saying "that you'll never push a broom again." (that is the way my Dr told me) All I can say is to get your Dr.'s to talk to you, ask Questions to them, tell them what you are feeling and the aches and pain that you are having. They only know text book procedures other wise. Good luck on your quest. and welcome to CC they have helped me through some rough times and have been there for me when I needed some moral support.

  9. #9
    Grace, what you described is supposedly what happened to me too. I had a four-level cervical laminectomy. Post-op all was normal. A day or two later, I could not move my arms or hands. My surgeon said I had a spinal stroke; all other doctors have said my spinal cord swelled and that is what caused my spinal cord injury.

    This is a good site for info.

  10. #10
    My husband SCI started with the rupture of the disc between t11 and t12, causing a fragment of the disc to compress his spinal cord. He got decompression surgery and right after the surgery he could move his legs and had feeling all the way to under the knees. Few days after the surgery the injury ascended, apparently also due to swelling of the cord. Around 6 weeks post he was evaluated as t5. He started gaining sensation and function in his abdomen. Now, 3 month post, he's around t9. However, technically he's considered t12 by some doctors, since that's where the original injury happened. At the end those are mostly labels, what matters is what a person can do and the functionality that can be regained.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 632
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 06:11 PM
  2. what level is your injury really at?
    By mckeownp in forum Cure
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 04:52 PM
  3. level injury
    By cypresss in forum Announcements & Feedback
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 09:19 AM
  4. C8 injury level?
    By Gary's Mom in forum Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-17-2006, 12:04 PM
  5. Injury level?
    By LBRS in forum Care
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-27-2002, 07:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •