Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Roho High Profile

I don't generally change position for a long period of time, rather sit tall, if you will.

That said, I am currently running mine as you are.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I bought a quadtro lo-pro used on ebay. Liked it but it didn't survive the first plane ride. Everybody wants to pick it up by that front inflation control mechanism, which pulled the inflator tube to the back left quadrant loose. If you can control how it is handled by the outside world it would be a great bet imo.

I have a low profile quatro but hated it on my chair as every time I would lean to the side/forward/backward the air would push me, even with the quatro locked the pockets in each area will still move and it just doesn't work well for a very active person IMO.

However it has made a great cushion for my computer chair at home where I some times sit long periods of time. Also has kept the cats out of my office chair since they won't walk around on it like they do my current cushion that they pretty much fight over as soon as I get out of it.
    Most everything I say is

I'm glad I posted, thanx EVERYONE for the speedy responses. I ordered the Quatro Select High Profile and should have it next Tuesday. It's going on a wc that I use about 5% of the time and stability isn't too big of an issue with armrests. I'll then try it on my everyday manual (no armrests) and van seat to see if I'm steady enough on it. I map pretty good in my manual on my Roho Nexus and am demo'ing a gel seat in my van too.

Brian I was worried about puncture holes and air loss through leaking.

Betheny, I bottom out almost on the low profiles. You only have 2" to work with. It's either too full and hard or too low and you're sitting on nothing!
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

My first Quadtro Select was used for 4 years, no punctures but the valve got a problem impossible to repair, but I consider 4 years a good timelife. I keep it to use in emergency cases, even with the valve problem, no air loss happens.

I'm using my second for 2 years with no punctures or any other air loss issues.

in another post, SCI_OTR said something like that: "when you make a airplane trip, keep the cushion with you, never leave on the chair or luggage compartment"

I received the new cushion and used it the first time today. I was only in that wc for under 2 hrs and it gave me a pink spot on the right ish again. The side that hurts. WTF. Luckily it disappeared as soon as I transferred out of it. I never get a mark in my everyday wc even if I'm up ALL day. The only thing I can think is that it's too full? I definitely am not bottoming out.

Also I have the green valve open for now not locked. I don't like how squishy the cushion feels, especially in the front where my thighs near the knee are. Can I just make the front more solid and leave the back lower?

This is all on a powerchair w/ a solid seat pan btw. I don't use the wc much, but I need to be able to sit in it w/o marks when I do.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    The only thing I can think is that it's too full?
    Yes, it could be too full.

As for locking the valve, as I understand it, once you lock the valve, the 4 chambers keep whatever air is in each, so your thighs should feel more support, and the back where your butt is will be lower, but not more squishy or anything. Does that make sense? If you call chick you can discuss it with her since she's been using one for years.

Thanx Rus...I'll ask her.

I re-read this thread and Brian and Leif did say how they fill theirs and get it to conform to their bodies. I'll mess with it. I'm use to my Nexus that has the firm foam in front and air in back. If I can get it firm in the front my legs will lie better on it and transfers won't be so crazy with me sinking in too.

Why don't wcs and cushions work perfect right out of the box? I always have a hard time with anything it seems. Whatever. I'll do anything to prevent a pressure sore.

Quote Originally Posted by november View Post
    Why don't wcs and cushions work perfect right out of the box? I always have a hard time with anything it seems. Whatever. I'll do anything to prevent a pressure sore.
    I dunno, but I hear ya. I've been using a low-profile for almost 20 years; I tried a Jay gel cushion in rehab but when I tried the Roho it was much more comfy. I'm wondering if I should try a 3" or 4" is I get older, but I don't like the idea of it being more squishy and less stable, and I'm so used to knowing how much air is good for me, I hate to think about re-learning. I've also considered trying a supracore or something else, but I'm scared I'll end up with a sore. As you know, even with sensation, we still have to be careful.

november,

have you followed the instructions provided in the owner manual? there is a procedure to calibrate the air inside the cushion, and the valve must be always red pressed when you sitted. green position serves onlu for a correct distribution of air inside the chambers.

yes, It is possible keep less air in rear chambers and more in front.