Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Scientist "So"

The Scientist "So"

One of my pet peeves is when people arbitrarily start sentences with "so" when they are not transitioning from anything, particularly when I see/hear people answering questions and starting their answer with "so" for no reason. It drives me batty. An example...

Question: How many years have you been studying this phenomena?

Answer: So, I've been studying it for a long time, almost a decade.

I noticed it was more often scientific or economic or technological experts doing it, and it always comes across to me as a nervous tic, and it makes these experts seem less confident about what they're saying, to me anyway. The usages that don't bother me are when someone's getting ready to tell a story or share a personal anecdote like, "So there was this girl at the coffee shop, right?" or ask a question like, "So where are we going tonight?" Both are still technically wrong, but they don't come across as a bad habit or nervous tic, as a replacement for "um" or "uh" as it does in other cases.

I decided to Google "starting a sentence with so" and found a lot of discussion on the subject. There was one blog entry that made a lot of sense of it, even if it didn't quell my annoyance...

Set-up: How do you know that your son will grow up to be a scientist?

Punch-line: His first word is "So ..."

The joke here, of course, is that quite a lot of scientists seem to always begin speaking with the word "So." And not when they're giving the conclusions to an argument — they aren't using it to mean "therefore."

They just start from a dead stop with "So ... ". They seem to use it the way non-scientists might begin with "Um" or "Well". (I've heard computer professionals use "So", but I hear this as an attempt to sound more scientific.)
    <snip>
    Because it makes so little sense, The Scientist So reminds me that science is a subculture. Subcultures do develop funny tics that seem to have no practical purpose — handshakes or dreadlocks or backward baseball caps. Although such tics seem to simply exist to exist, they provide a way to identify and control membership in the group. They do a job, whether they make any sense in themselves or not. Maybe The Scientist So marks the speaker with a cultural affiliation — that of "Scientist."
    [Full Article: Scientists Say So]

Wise, do you hear this often with your colleagues?

Interesting.

I start sentences with "So" all the time. I'm a software engineer, working in a hardware engineering company.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I start sentences with "So" all the time. I'm a software engineer, working in a hardware engineering company.
    There's a theory that the trend started in Silicon Valley with programmers, software engineers, etc.

So...now that I know that it irritates people, I'll have to start policing my speech for it.

Another area of innocence lost.

I see 'so' as a pause/space before the thought. It doesn't bother me.

Funny - there's an IC engineer at work; I don't think I've ever heard him begin a report without saying "So..."
    It's nice to have some things that you can rely on. Too bad they're never things that might be helpful
    - Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    I see 'so' as a pause/space before the thought. It doesn't bother me.
    This is different than starting the answer to a question with "so." Usually, in the way you refer to, "so" is being used as a conjunction, which it is. But to answer a question starting with "so" is maddening.

I begin sentences with "so". For me, it is just a transitional aid to move from the continuing cosmic conversation to the specific subject being addressed. IMO, there are instances where it would be misleading to imply that one was starting a new conversation, rather than just moving to a different topic.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Continuing cosmic conversation. I like that!

I'm not a fan of "So" and am also a software engineer but I may look into using it in the future.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home