Thread: OMRF scientist discovers new method to reprogram cells

OMRF scientist discovers new method to reprogram cells

this is great news.

OMRF scientist discovers new method to reprogram cells

BY SONYA COLBERG Oklahoman Leave a comment
    Published: August 11, 2010

Every day, researcher Carol Webb watched the cells that had curiously remained alive weeks, then months longer than normal cells.

As she peered through the microscope she wondered what was going on with these cells. Then she saw it.

She jumped up and dashed down the hall to collaborator Paul Kincade.

"Come and look at this! Tell me what this looks like to you," she said.

Her colleague at the Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation confirmed the revelation that Webb had unveiled after three years of research. A group of cells had changed and suddenly contained the characteristics of nerve cells and cells lining blood vessels.

Webb had reprogrammed adult cells into a stem cell-like state. She did that by adding a substance to inhibit the action of a protein in the cells, which created stem cells that could then be turned into different kinds of cells. The hope is that scientists eventually will be able to use the method to transform them into whatever special cell is desired, such as heart or nerve tissue cells.

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/omrf-scientist...#ixzz0wL43QyrB

Hey there, I don't post much but I just wanted to say that I really appreciate you sharing all of the articles that you do. I admit that a lot of the very technical stuff is over my head and I often feel pretty ignorant when reading the discussions on it (there are a lot of smart people on this forum!). But it's encouraging to know that all of this is going on - whether a certain study ends up being the answer or not, it's at least nice to be reminded that people are trying. There have been a few times that friends have told me about something they heard on the news and so far it's always been something that I had already read about on this website. So thanks for keeping me (and many others, I'm sure) in the loop!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RyansWife View Post
    Hey there, I don't post much but I just wanted to say that I really appreciate you sharing all of the articles that you do. I admit that a lot of the very technical stuff is over my head and I often feel pretty ignorant when reading the discussions on it (there are a lot of smart people on this forum!). But it's encouraging to know that all of this is going on - whether a certain study ends up being the answer or not, it's at least nice to be reminded that people are trying. There have been a few times that friends have told me about something they heard on the news and so far it's always been something that I had already read about on this website. So thanks for keeping me (and many others, I'm sure) in the loop!

Welcome to carecure forums, and thank you for your kind words. Hope you like this site as much as I do. I truly believe good things are coming for us. manouli.