Thread: Question Dr. Young

Question Dr. Young

When might we expect the Ibot Wheelchair that J&J is manufacturing to be available to the general public? And what is the expected price to be? any ideas?

iBOT

It was supposed to come out this year pending FDA approval.

ibot listing

I Want One!

[This message was edited by Wise Young on August 13, 2001 at 03:26 AM.]

OOPs

Sorry, try this:

ibot listing

[Rusty... I edited the URL to make it shorter so that it can display it without requiring horizontal scrolling the window, Wise.]

[This message was edited by Wise Young on August 13, 2001 at 03:26 AM.]

What's the cost?

I've heard upwards of $20,000.00.

Rustyjames

Johnson & Johnson is working very hard trying to get the ibot approved. As I think I mentioned in a previous posting on Cando, they chose to go the route of getting it approved as a new class of customizable medical device that can be prescribed and therefore coverable by Medicaid and other insurance so that people can get most of its cost covered. This is taking a longer time. I think that it may cost as much as $25,000 depending on options.

The device itself is probably one of the most tested devices. It has gone through not only very extended pummelling to ensure that it works under the most adverse conditions but they are taking it through extensive home testing to make sure that it operates according to specifications in real-world situations. I am looking to buy one or more for our Center where we have people with spinal cord injury working in the lab. I think that it will make a lot of difference in the work environment, being able to turn in very tight spaces and being able to go up and down stairs. Wise.

Is the IBOT available yet? Does anyone know if it will be covered by Medicare?

It is becoming available within this month, I believe. Yes, it can be covered by medicare when it is prescribed by a doctor. J & J will be able to help people with the insurance issues. Wise.

Thank you Dr. Young. I'm off to get a prescription

I had a test ride on the I-bot the other day. It's all most the answer! Too bad, High Cs, like myself,can not work the controls. I spent a good bit of time talking with the rep. and he told me that many of the mods I needed were on the drawing board. I'll stay on it and report on mods as they come out. Sounds like they may now be taking Dr. Young's advice and trying to target the higher injuries as well.

FYI They have about 60 sold in the USA so far ( new lower price around $26,000 was $28,000) , and insurance is starting to cover the cost and,I am told, the VA just approved them as well.