Thread: breastfeeding and SCI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

breastfeeding and SCI

Hey everyone. I am in my 8th month of pregnancy now, and wanted to see if any women out there have or dealt with Osteoporosis and breastfeeding? I plan on asking the dr. at my next appt too. I have Osteoporosis & Osteopenia in my hips which has been very well under control and actually lowered in numbers before pregnancy. I am not on my meds for it now b/c of the pregnancy, Im just worried about continuing not being on them for another year or so b/c I did plan on breastfeeding. Anything online about breastfeeding and Osteoporosis is conflicting. Some info says its good for your bones, some say otherwise..... Anyone have ideas or been through it??? Thanks =)

What is your level and completeness of injury? (a profile would help).

I don't think that osteoporosis in a woman with SCI is a contraindication for breast feeding...since nearly all women (and men) with SCI have it, this would mean that breastfeeding would be contraindicated for all women with SCI, and that is not the case. Of course you should discuss the role of calcium and other important nutrition components to your diet with your OB prior to that time.

Just keep in mind that if you do not have nipple sensation (T4), your ability to continue breast feeding very long without using medications to stimulate milk production may be very limited.

(KLD)

I am a T12 incomplete so I do have nipple sensation. I was worried that maybe they would advise against it b/c I had Osteoporosis, or if it would be an added stress on my bones to breastfeed. I have an appointment next week with my OB so I will discuss it with him also. Just want to make sure I dont do any more damage to my bones, Id like to keep them all attached ;-) Do you think that by not being on fosamax for that long can pose a greater risk for fracture or more loss? ( They advised against taking it b/c of the unknown risks involved to the fetus)
    Thankyou for your response =)

I doubt it will hurt you to stop the Fosamax, since there is no indication that use of that drug alone (unless combined with FES or vibratory plate standing) does anything to either treat or prevent osteoporosis in those with SCI.

(KLD)

I too have osteo from SCI and i was off my fosamax for 5 years (3 years TTC plus pg plus no time). if it were me i would personally not go back on it until after you are done BFing because the unknown of what i was doing to my child would be more troubling to me than worrying about another broken hip. I would continue taking Calcium pills with Vit D to at least help with some of it. I had twins plus I am a quad so I didn't last long on the BFing front but i am glad to hear for lower levels it is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by sabmother View Post
    I had twins plus I am a quad so I didn't last long on the BFing front but i am glad to hear for lower levels it is doable.
    Just have to add, everyone is sooooo quick to question the ability of a quad to breastfeed for extended periods. I feel that it almost sabotages that ability before you even give birth. It is such a stressful time for all mothers, SCI & AB, why not start off on a positive note & give it a good chance. I'm c5/6 & BF'd for 2-1/2 years. I've spoken to others who worked hard & stuck with it, and it can work (I know, for some it just doesn't for many reasons, physical and otherwise). Everyone makes their own choices as to how far they'll go. Good luck, and at least give it a good try before giving up.

Peace
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Thank you for your responses. It is comforting to know that I can still give the baby what he needs and not stree or worry too much about myself. I have been gait training and in my standing frame daily to get some exercise and weight through my legs. Im trying to eat as best I can to keep healthy. =) Thanks Again!!

Eat healthy and stay hydrated.

Sounds like you are doing awesome!
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Quote Originally Posted by Chelley03 View Post
    Thank you for your responses. It is comforting to know that I can still give the baby what he needs and not stree or worry too much about myself. I have been gait training and in my standing frame daily to get some exercise and weight through my legs. Im trying to eat as best I can to keep healthy. =) Thanks Again!!
    CAN'T WAIT TO MEET THAT HANDSOME LITTLE

MISS YOU CHELLY! XOXO
    God is good

Quote Originally Posted by rollinprincess3227 View Post
    CAN'T WAIT TO MEET THAT HANDSOME LITTLE

MISS YOU CHELLY! XOXO

Miss you too!!! =) And you better come visit us... and maybe let me go out for an hour & you babysit, my house is super wheelchair friendly! haha