Thread: Remote Computer Control

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Remote Computer Control

I came across this great program for controlling computers remotely on another forum and in doing a quick search only found it mentioned once before on this forum. It's called Team Viewer and it enables you to take control of others' computers absolutely free of charge if it's for non-commercial use.

I can see people getting a little queasy about allowing others to access their computers but the program needs to be running on both computers and is password protected so either user can opt out at any time during the session or in the future. I also believe a new password is created for each session unless designated otherwise.

I am finding it particularly useful for assisting family and friends with their computer issues and not having to travel to their houses or trying to direct relatively computer illiterate family/friends over the phone is a bonus. It can often be a struggle when you don't have the particular operating system in front of you but the remote access takes all this out of the equation.

I very much doubt that strangers are going to allow someone to access their computer remotely but friends and family can sit back and watch what you manipulate their computer and therefore watching your every move and have the option to stop it. It also comes in handy if you need to access your 2nd computer remotely. There are many more functions including video chat and file transferring.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

I think it's fantastic.
    Cheers

I use UltraVNC to control my home theater computer from my laptop. It does exactly what you're talking about and it's free. It works great wherever and whenever I want to use it, as long as it's inside my network, although I have worked on another computer over the Internet. It's just a little bit harder to get past a router. I have to walk people through opening a port on their router. It's not always easy but in the long run it works out really well.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    It works great wherever and whenever I want to use it, as long as it's inside my network, although I have worked on another computer over the Internet. It's just a little bit harder to get past a router. I have to walk people through opening a port on their router. It's not always easy but in the long run it works out really well.
    I downloaded the program you use and I have to tell you that it's not a patch on Team Viewer for ease of use, not to mention that there is no access problems outside of my network, it just works. No problems with selecting ports or router problems. You should give it a go and see what you think.

BTW Here's wishing you a pressure sore free rest of the year.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I use UltraVNC to control my home theater computer from my laptop. It does exactly what you're talking about and it's free. It works great wherever and whenever I want to use it, as long as it's inside my network, although I have worked on another computer over the Internet. It's just a little bit harder to get past a router. I have to walk people through opening a port on their router. It's not always easy but in the long run it works out really well.
    I have been using logmein for years and it's FREE...

https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/free/

Here is the lite single use version.

https://join.me/
    ^^(A)^^

Quote Originally Posted by backlinks View Post
    Why not to use standard windows remote desktop control? It is free, unless you have MacOS or Unix.
    You could but to the best of my knowledge remote desktop connection doesn't work with computers running Windows 7 starter, Windows 7 home Basic, Windows 7 home premium, Windows XP home, Vista home premium etc.

Team Viewer has other functions as well such as video, chat, file transfer, conference etc. I think it's a easier to use.