Thread: Do not understand this!!

Exclamation Do not understand this!!

oh boy....
    Ok, new neuropathic pain, sweating profusely on one side, increased spasms.
    MRI;
    blahblahblah, (the usual) then,
    "severe neural foraminal narrowing bilaterally at C6-7, moderate canal stenosis."
    "Severe narrowing of the cervical cord from C4 through T1, most compatible with myelomalacia."
    "Complete or near complete disruption of the spinal cord from the C4 through T1...."
    what the heck does that mean?????
    And how can this be, the third comment??????
    Last edited by cathy j; 08-06-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: missing question

Cathy-
    I looked at your profile, and I couldn't find what level of injury you are nor your ASIA level. That would be helpful in trying to answer your questions. Also, how long have you been injured?
    Thanks
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by cathy j View Post
    oh boy....
    Ok, new neuropathic pain, sweating profusely on one side, increased spasms.
    MRI;
    blahblahblah, (the usual) then,
    "severe neural foraminal narrowing bilaterally at C6-7, moderate canal stenosis."
    "Severe narrowing of the cervical cord from C4 through T1, most compatible with myelomalacia."
    "Complete or near complete disruption of the spinal cord from the C4 through T1...."
    what the heck does that mean?????
    And how can this be, the third comment??????
    Unfortunately it all makes sense to me. My "injury" is exactly how you have described except mine extends to T-2 from C-4. It is a backdoor way to a spinal cord injury or compromise. In my case it has just taken a little over 15 years to develop and the spinal cord as it passes through C-5/6 is only 5mm in diameter because of the narrowing of the canal. Still a walking quad.

You can get a surgery to help open up those closing formina that may relieve some of the new pain and sweating caused by irritation of the nerves. It is another spinal surgery though and you must be pretty well fed up with all of this stuff to submit to a major surgery like that. I'm getting ready to have C-6 to T2 fused.

I have to live with the degenerative effects, but maybe you don't have to.

Isn't myelomalacia caused by a compromised blood supply to the spinal cord? You may benefit by having a surgery to open the narrow spaces up a bit. What ever you choose to do, good luck.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Thanks Skippy,
    SCI Nurse, Dan is 28 y.o., functioning at C4, little C5...at first, C2 incomplete.
    He's been injured 8 years.
    Hope that helps, thank you sooooo much!
    Cathy