Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stimulite - XS or not?

Question stimulite - XS or not?

considering another new cushion.. the ride forward I'm on measures longer than I need/wanted.

Wondering about the stimulite - XS or not? I have perfect skin.

Also- will this cushion outlast a cover? ie. should I buy an extra cover with it to save a few bucks in the long run?

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    considering another new cushion.. the ride forward I'm on measures longer than I need/wanted.

Also- will this cushion outlast a cover? ie. should I buy an extra cover with it to save a few bucks in the long run?
    Ultimately whether one uses XS or not depends on the person. For me, I preferred it with XS, but in the end the cushion wasn't comfortable for me even with XS.

The cover seems very well made.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    i use a the stimulite contour and love it, it is a little cooler than some of the others i've tried and is very light. however, the cover on mine has the zipper comming apart from rubbing against chair. i am very active and it gets removed quite often when i put my chair in my vehicle, don't know if there is much saving buying an extra until needed. just to note, i have a little feeling in my butt, so it is hard to find a cushion that is comfortable. I've used 2 variations of the jay2(sucked and not real light), varilite proform(good cushion and light, but i found myself constantly adjusting air:this cushion sucks air to inflate, so there is no need for pump), the otto boch comfort t(I still use this on my chair that never leaves the house,very comfortable, but heavy), i tried a roho and hated it as much as the jay2, plus i've tried numerous foam and memory foam. the stimulite is definitely my favorite. If a person tends to lean a little in the chair, the varilite proform with dual chamber is a great since one side can hold more air than other and this cushion features the characteristics of a contour pad also, great for support and positioning.

I got the regular classic and found that softer than my contour was when I bought it. My husband got his with the XS layer on the classic. If I was ordering another contour, I would say I would get it with the XS layer...but if it was the classic, I would not bother.

I have never had an issue with the cover, but my husband has had issues with the zipper like jschism had. The difference is that I have side guards and my husband does not...so it rubs a little more on the moving parts than mine does.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I got the regular classic and found that softer than my contour was when I bought it. My husband got his with the XS layer on the classic. If I was ordering another contour, I would say I would get it with the XS layer...but if it was the classic, I would not bother.

I have never had an issue with the cover, but my husband has had issues with the zipper like jschism had. The difference is that I have side guards and my husband does not...so it rubs a little more on the moving parts than mine does.
    i believe i did get the xs on my contour, i use a short back on my chair, so i thought the contour cushion would help to keep better posture. got mine at sportaid.com. insurance don't pay for what a person actually needs so i buy most of my stuff from there, they are really nice to work with. my local DME's are all idiots and too busy, like most

Does the xs layer add any height? I tried the contour xs but it was too thick, made my knees hit my hand controls on my car. I have the classic but would like to use the contour if it wasn't so thick.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    i believe i did get the xs on my contour, i use a short back on my chair, so i thought the contour cushion would help to keep better posture. got mine at sportaid.com. insurance don't pay for what a person actually needs so i buy most of my stuff from there, they are really nice to work with. my local DME's are all idiots and too busy, like most
    my sentiments exactly. ditto on the insurance and sportaid comments.

Thanks for the input guys... although I am wondering how tall this cushion is (once broken in) with the XS layer.

Anybody else? I'm leaning toward the contour XS because my legs splay into the chair downtubes without some form to the cushion, but if the XS option adds to much height then I won't bother with it.

Since you are presently using a Ride Forward - a cushion that is contoured - you may want to consider the Stimulite Contoured with XS rather than the "Classic" version.

Regarding:
    A Stimulite cushion is indeed made a bit softer with the XS option, but please be aware that the structure of Stimulites - in all Stimulite models - makes for a "stiffer" cushion than many other cushion types. Stimulites do offer some advantages, in certain parameters, over other cushions - softness; however, is not one of those advantages.

xs. i have ran supracor for 10 yrs. 1st classic then classic xs. best cushion there is.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

XS does not add height, they just have alternating rows of a slightly thinner honeycomb n the top layer. You'll notice in pictures they look striped.

I used a classic xs for 1.5 yesas, but my left bony butt sank in real far and compressed the cells over time. I got a new one under their 2 year warranty. Non-XS, hoping it would withstand, but it seems to be doing the same.

It's fairly comfortable, but I don't think it's great for bony butts.