Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nuggets of wisdom from the UK's leading cure charity

I am more & more convinced that living with SCI it is so stressfull that in most of the people it affects your mind & more exactly your capability to rationally analize the reality.
    It is a form of the Stockholm syndrome link
    That explains also why people with SCI don't support SCI research as common sense would suggest.
    Like it or not that's the way it is. If you have a different explaination please tell me.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

I'm not picky, but I would just like to be able to punch people in the face. Not that I would abuse my restoration of arm/ hand function by going around punching people in the face, but it would be a tremendous mental relief knowing that I could.

Walking would be nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I am more & more convinced that living with SCI it is so stressfull that in most of the people it affects your mind & more exactly your capability to rationally analize the reality.
    It is a form of the Stockholm syndrome link
    That explains also why people with SCI don't support SCI research as common sense would suggest.
    Like it or not that's the way it is. If you have a different explaination please tell me.

Paolo
    The point we are arguing here is not whether SCI research should be supported, but, if it were possible to choose, which parts of the body should be given priority.

Sex sex sex sex and more sex
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    The point we are arguing here is not whether SCI research should be supported, but, if it were possible to choose, which parts of the body should be given priority.
    Sure, what I mean to say is that many people (probably most of) living with SCI loose objectivity in evaluating what would make thier life better.
    It is also true that this is a personal evaluation related to your personality or more precisaly "your personal & social identity", but still the results of the surveies done on that issue collide with common sense from my point of view.
    If the majority of the people can't evaluate the reality rationally, we should not do what the majority of the people want
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Sure, what I mean to say is that many people (probably most of) living with SCI loose objectivity in evaluating what would make thier life better.
    This is probably true for new injuries but not for those a few years post injury.

It is also true that this is a personal evaluation related to your personality or more precisaly "your personal & social identity", but still the results of the surveies done on that issue collide with common sense from my point of view.
    I would be fully independent if I had full use of my hands, I would still be dependent if my hands remained as they are now but I could walk, therefore my common sense tells me that my hands should be "cured" first.

If the majority of the people can't evaluate the reality rationally, we should not do what the majority of the people want
    The majority of people are perfectly capable of rational evaluation.

[QUOTE=Timaru;1245524]

This is probably true for new injuries but not for those a few years post injury.

I would be fully independent if I had full use of my hands, I would still be dependent if my hands remained as they are now but I could walk, therefore my common sense tells me that my hands should be "cured" first.

The majority of people are perfectly capable of rational evaluation.
    Hear, hear.

Legs can't brush hair, turn a door nob, button a button or make an omelet. Logic tells me that the restoration of hand function should be my priority with B/B being a close 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker View Post
    Sex sex sex sex and more sex
    I second that. When some friend asks me the typical "what would be the first thing you would do if recovered?" and i always say that i'll go running down the streets naked while masturbating. Just to imagine this they laugh with me, hahaha, i'm sorry i'm rude sometimes

@Paolo: you're right. I don't know what exactly the thing may be called (stockholm syndrome or something else) but i agree 100% in the poor judgement of people under stress circumstances. And we get too much stress.

In the AB world happens exactly the same thing. Some people get stuck in an elevator and start hearing weird noises as if they were going to fall. Stress eats almost all minds, but if the group is lucky they'll have one or two people among them that won't panic but start examining the situation looking and after that working for a way out while the rest of the cabine do at least one of the following:

• Announcing people very smart and practical information like "we are going to die!" (AKA: "we will never walk again")
    • Praying to whatever sect imaginary friend they pray to. (AKA: same thing)
    • Hope that someone else will fix their problem... but here's the most interesting part some of them will not only not helping him finding a solution but will become a pain in the ass to him discouraging him about anything he tries until they get out. (AKA: same thing)
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Not sure why we are prioritising things. I want it ALL. And I want it NOW.

On a serious note :- I would have thought that with most therapies being a derivative of regenerative medicine we are talking about limitless possibilities -: axonal growth & remyelination of the cord and spinal roots, replacement of neurons and motoneurons. All of which if I am misunderstood should help a high quad breath unassisted or "punch someone in the face" or a low para walk the dog, have a dump and roger his missus before smoking a kipper for breakfast.

It is all relative and therefore no REAL priority. As a community, WE WANT IT ALL.

Reach for the stars - and if you get the moon, take it enjoy it for a moment and then ask for more!

[QUOTE=0xSquidy;1245584]I second that. When some friend asks me the typical "what would be the first thing you would do if recovered?" and i always say that i'll go running down the streets naked while masturbating. Just to imagine this they laugh with me, hahaha, i'm sorry i'm rude sometimes

Don't be sorry ! You're right
    Last edited by Johnnie Walked; 08-07-2010 at 08:29 AM.
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature