Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: walking quads/paras

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    What do you use for walking, one cane, 2 canes, forearm crutches, walker, shopping cart, all the above?
    1 fore arm crutch. thats all i use, plus the bioness l300
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

I am going to throw this concept out. When you walk with just one forearm crutch, there are inevitable asymmetry in one's gait. That could make your back hurt more. At least this has been my experience. Using 2 crutches symmetrically keeps your back in a more neutral position and lessens this problem. Plus you can go faster and farther with less effort. Yes, it is a pain in the rear to deal with 2 crutches rather than one , and you can't carry a cup of coffee and walk, but it might result in less back pain.
    I would also want to know if there was any anatomical problem that needs to be addressed by a spine doctor, such as nerve impingement. Or a facet problem. If not, then I would work with a good PT concerning a symmetric, spine neutral gait using 2 crutches. Also do everything possible to strengthen core stability that will protect your spine. There is a good progression of isometric exercises that any PT worth their salt can review with you.
    There, I got that off my chest. I feel better! Good luck !

I am sorry i posted in the wrong place..... i seen walking paras\ quads + did not see walking with pain....... i am not so good with this computer stuff.

Thanks arndog. My free hand is my gimp hand. But I know what you mean by asymmetry. Ugh its inevidable because my hip flexor is shit on my affected side but exstensors are much stronger. My pt said that the imbalance would be enough for hip and pelvis imbalance therefor pain

Has anyone tried back 2 life? I'm tempted
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by da lurker View Post
    was told the other day by a lady in a wheelchair that at least I could walk. didn't know what to say.
    That is not an uncommon comment.
    It's all part of the "hierarchy" of disabilities.

I stretch use gabapentin, Valium when needed but the bottom-line is it still always freaking hurts.

Rest and avoiding over heating also helps.

I have tried to stay away from the opiates as that can be a vicious cycle and also create secondary issues.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

I think it is one of those damned if you do damned if you dont situations. I workout and walk but the working out causes more pain. If I dont workout then I am in pain and cannot walk well. Either way there is pain but rather be mobile than sitting in pain.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by TMAZ View Post
    I think it is one of those damned if you do damned if you dont situations. I workout and walk but the working out causes more pain. If I dont workout then I am in pain and cannot walk well. Either way there is pain but rather be mobile than sitting in pain.
    You just summed up my life.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

TMAZ- you summed up my life too.
    Arndog

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    That is not an uncommon comment.
    It's all part of the "hierarchy" of disabilities.
    sometimes i feel like ive failed at being disabled,
    tom

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society

sometimes its a hard decision for me
    tom

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society