Thread: Stem Cells Unknown Frontier

Stem Cells Unknown Frontier

It looks like the FDA is pretty smart. One of the concerns they had over the implantation of stem cells in the spine is that pain might result. Of course, this is a concern. I hope these stem cells being placed in the spine work, but will hold my breath for a year to make sure central pain does not result.

These cells are embryonic stem cells, so we are looking an ethical question in the face. I think if the cells work, the calculus will be that it was for the best. If they do not work, we will surely find ourselves in ongoing and perhaps even greater debate on the ethicality of even attempting this.

Thus, there is something at stake in the these early attempts by Geron at seven centers on ten patients. If it works, it isn't going to be cheap, bringing to mind Sam Worthington's statement in Avatar, "You can get a spine fixed, but not on these wages, not in this economy".
    Last edited by dejerine; 10-13-2010 at 02:09 AM.

I am also scared of MORE pain. Not neuro pain, Ive dealt with plenty of that. More the physical pain. If i were to start to be able to feel my lower body, Will i feel my shattered t10 vert. while my BnB starts to work properly, will i still have to cath? I remember getting tested for std's when i was younger. They had to swab slightly into my penis and i can remember it being the worse pain i ever fealt. I cant imagine fealing myself cath,,,yikes!
    BTW That line from Avatar freakin pissed me off to think thats the way it could be. Seems as though thats all ready the way it is though. Ive heard Dr. Wize say many times that we allready have ways to help fix us but not enough money for funding
    Hopefully medicare/medicaid will cover the procedure. Its gotta be cheaper than taking care of all the medical needs ill have for the rest of my life.
    Has it been five years yet? ..........

That is a good point on the pain issue. I don't think they know what will happen if the regeneration occurs. It seems logical if we have connection that pain will appear , but to what degree. It will be a dream not to cath again. Hopefully, everything will turn positive in time. The government would save a lot of money if they fix all of us. Time will tell. It will be an interesting in the upcoming years ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine View Post
    These cells are embryonic stem cells, so we are looking an ethical question in the face. I think if the cells work, the calculus will be that it was for the best. If they do not work, we will surely find ourselves in ongoing and perhaps even greater debate on the ethicality of even attempting this.

Thus, there is something at stake in the these early attempts by Geron at seven centers on ten patients. If it works, it isn't going to be cheap, bringing to mind Sam Worthington's statement in Avatar, "You can get a spine fixed, but not on these wages, not in this economy".
    What ethical question is that? These cells are left over cells from in vitro fertilization. They otherwise would be thrown in the garbage. Hopefully ignorance will not stand in the way of a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    What ethical question is that? These cells are left over cells from in vitro fertilization. They otherwise would be thrown in the garbage. Hopefully ignorance will not stand in the way of a cure.
    X2. There's an ethical debate because of how misunderstood
    the science is.

I too wonder how much more pain I'd be in if I could feel
    everything I have to do and the deterioration my body has
    been through.

Hi Buck Nastier good topic thank you
    I am all for Stem Cell
    As for more pain !!! I am in so much pain now that I know it couldnt get worse so I'd try anything
    My Mopther calls me a adrenylinge junkie and she knows I will do anything to go the extra mile

How are you doing ?
    Hope you had a nice weekend

Sincerely ;
    GL