Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any exercises to lessen inflammation of fractured femur

Blog Entries

Any exercises to lessen inflammation of fractured femur

I am two week post surgery for femur fracture of the right thigh. I was inserted a rod which was screwed in both ends of the fractured femur. I just have the sutures removed and am able to do transfers from wheelchair to bed.

The thigh is still swollen. Could you recommend exercises I can do at home to help in hastening the inflammation to subside?

(I tried to to do long standing with the walker but the injured leg buckles so I cannot put weight on it.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
    He ai'nt heavy, he is my brother!
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    When I am on bed I raise the swollen leg up with pillows underneath. I think this is a slow process to return to its normal size. Are there others who have similar fractures who can recommend some exercises?
    Last edited by iskumbro; 08-06-2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

I blew my left one into 20+ pieces - it hurt for four years, sometime still does in the cold. avoid twisting. that's the biggest bone in your body, it's gonna take time. - Garro.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    I blew my left one into 20+ pieces - it hurt for four years, sometime still does in the cold. avoid twisting. that's the biggest bone in your body, it's gonna take time. - Garro.
    Hi steve,

what do you mean blowing your left thigh into 20 plus pieces.
    What exercises did you do for the inflammation to subside. I am on my third week post surgery? Does it mean I cannot stand even in the parallel bars. Is sitting on the wheelchair further heighten the inflammation?
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by iskumbro View Post
    Hi steve,

what do you mean blowing your left thigh into 20 plus pieces.
    What exercises did you do for the inflammation to subside. I am on my third week post surgery? Does it mean I cannot stand even in the parallel bars. Is sitting on the wheelchair further heighten the inflammation?
    it was just one of the injuries i sustained when I got my SCI. the SCI was the least of my injuries. I didn't do shit afterward for a looong time. you are way fresh from that surgery. femurs mend in months/years, not weeks. just be careful you don't throw a clot & get a pulminary embolism. has you doc signed off on you as being "weight bearing?" - Garro.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    it was just one of the injuries i sustained when I got my SCI. the SCI was the least of my injuries. I didn't do shit afterward for a looong time. you are way fresh from that surgery. femurs mend in months/years, not weeks. just be careful you don't throw a clot & get a pulminary embolism. has you doc signed off on you as being "weight bearing?" - Garro.

It is quite scary if i develop clots that would lead to pulmonary embolism. I think i have to do hot compression so as to avoid clotting.

When you say weight bearing, I should not stand for the meantime?
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by iskumbro View Post
    When you say weight bearing, I should not stand for the meantime?
    uuuummm - yeah. do you have communication with your doctor or a PT? you need to know if you are qualified to be weight bearing - your doctor should be able to quantify this for you. what kind of break did you have? please, ask your doc, huh? - Garro.

Banned
    My patients who have suffered injuries we teach them the term RICE... which means Rest, Ice (20 minutes on 1.5 hrs off), Compression (tensors can help BUT... it must be wrapped the proper way cause if you don't the edema will just go to your feet), Elevate...

Best you can do, is keep the leg high up, above the heart and do the Ice... 20 on 1.5 off.... if you keep the ice on too long you can cause more problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ota/ptagrl View Post
    My patients who have suffered injuries we teach them the term RICE... which means Rest, Ice (20 minutes on 1.5 hrs off), Compression (tensors can help BUT... it must be wrapped the proper way cause if you don't the edema will just go to your feet), Elevate...

Best you can do, is keep the leg high up, above the heart and do the Ice... 20 on 1.5 off.... if you keep the ice on too long you can cause more problems.
    will not the ice constrict the blood vessels,

the injured thigh feels warm when i touch it
    Rufus Wainright

ronaldlora.blogspot.com

The ice, rest and elevating will help reduce the swelling.

If it's hot, that could be a sign of infection. Is it red too?

You really need to visit your doctor and ask him/her what you should be doing.

Surgery/broken bones take a long time to heal. Don't rush it.

Call your doctor.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt