Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ZR2 Measurement options

ZR2 Measurement options

I am getting ready to order my new chair, its been 2 years since I was hurt and I think I know what I need. I am a T6/8 active paraplegic, 6' 200LBS I have put a lot of thought into what I need as I dialed my chair in. I am currently in a 18x18 with a 4" SOG ZRA. I am going to a 16x16 ZR because I want to sit in a chair not on it. I have used a similar chair and I squeeze in fine. I also plan on a Zoid cushion, and a 10" Jet Stream hard back, and I requested the larger diameter tubing due to my weight.

Is there anything on this chair you would change, or looks out of place?

I'm no expert - don't have my own chair yet; just been researching and measuring a lot in preparation for my own chair.

That said, Just noting:
    Rear-wheel spacing is not dimensioned.
    ground clearance at rear of footrest is not dimensioned.
    I'm unfamiliar with available tubing-wall thicknesses.
    You've been riding 4 COG, this one is 3.

Chas

You are only 200 lbs. you don't need the larger tubing. I've had the ZRA and T/E Crossfire but don't like the feel of an L frame and it's larger tubing. I have the Tr now and like it much better for its smaller dia. tubing and full frame

T6/7 same as I. I have a four inch dump and have fairly good balance. 2.5" dump is kinda small for a T6/7. What's your balance like?

Are you sure you want to go with a 4" caster. Most of us get the standard 5"x1 and buy a 5x1.5" soft roll aluminum billet front wheel.

COG is adjustable. for length there should be approx 2 finger width from back of knees to front of seat uph.

Quote Originally Posted by marlin View Post
    I am getting ready to order my new chair, its been 2 years since I was hurt and I think I know what I need. I am a T6/8 active paraplegic, 6' 200LBS I have put a lot of thought into what I need as I dialed my chair in. I am currently in a 18x18 with a 4" SOG ZRA. I am going to a 16x16 ZR because I want to sit in a chair not on it. I have used a similar chair and I squeeze in fine. I also plan on a Zoid cushion, and a 10" Jet Stream hard back, and I requested the larger diameter tubing due to my weight.

Is there anything on this chair you would change, or looks out of place?
    I think going for a larger diameter tubing is a good idea, you are in the limit of weight and maybe you will have some flex with a thinner wall tubing, the chair will be stronger and more rigidity.

Are you sure you need 16" seat widht? i see it a bit close for a guy with 6 and 200 lbs, maybe a 17" will be better for you.

You`ve got your front reducction at 12", that`s very wide, go for a 11".
    If you like that dump is ok, i`ve got the same but with a L1, with that dump i will go for more COG, maybe 3.5"-3.75"

4" caster is a good idea only if they are softroll 4" x 1.5", i `ve got them and before i had 5"x 1.5", i prefer 4x1.5, they are lighter, you turn quickier and the rides are practically the same( in cities)

Regardless of the rear seat width you ultimately choose, are you sure you don't want any rear-to-front seat squeeze? That is, the seat width is wider in the rear and tapers towards the front by an inch or two. How about more leg taper as well? Both of these measurements will impact on the amount of frogging out of your legs, the degree of which is a personal preference. But seeing as you're interested in getting a tighter fit to your new chair, you may want to give further consideration to this.

Also . . .

I recently replaced the original ABS plastic footrest on my ZR with a titanium open toe footrest. I was once convinced that I didn't like the open toe style because my feet would fall between the spaces but I've since found the opposite to be true: the contours of my feet grip the open toe design better.

I also requested to have the depth of the footrest deepened by 1" to 7" total. HUGE difference! I don't use a calf strap but found that one of my feet would occasionally slide of the rear of the footrest. With the added depth this is never an issue.

im 6'2 195. 16 wide is fine if your legs are atrophied. im inc so my legs/butt are in good shape so im 17wx16d. i like 4x1.5 soft rolls too.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

If you do not have it marked I would suggest the 4" rigidizer bar when using a roho back. That gives more clearance for your back and for those who may help you using that bar.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Further to what Stephen said about seat taper, you mentioned the zoid cushion which is 1" narrower in the front than the rear. I have one which fits in very well with my tapered seat, but I imagine that if I put it on a 'normal' square seat I'd have a gap at each side in the front

heres my zr2 cad
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

As stated by another, you currently use a 4" COG and this CAD shows 3"; I don't know if that is an issue or planned, but worth noting.

I wouldn't second guess the thicker tubing, as others have, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Going from 18x18 to 16x16 seems quite dramatic to me; I hope you are sure about that.

I am surprised by Patrick saying, "Most of us get the standard 5"x1 and buy a 5x1.5" soft roll aluminum billet front wheel.". When researching my chair it seemed to me that most here used the 4". Nonetheless, at your injury level I think the choice of 4" is fine.

As one that just went from 2.5" dump to 3.5", this is another area you may have room to play with if desired, allowing yourself to get a little lower in the back and down into the wheels, but that is a personal choice and you are using 25" wheels so maybe a non-issue.

I don't know how tall I am, but guess my height to be in the 6 to 6.2 range and I don't get how you other taller guys get away with having your front height so low. My front height is 19.5" and I use a 4" ROHO; the bottom of my footrest is quite close to the ground; I wish my front height was at least 20".

I was a bit nervous about putting a 2" taper to my front end, but I now question if I should have went more, as others have suggested for you.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982