Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transition from Walker to Cane

Transition from Walker to Cane

I appreciate my ability to have motor movement below injury.

has anyone made the transition to cane what did you do? I have been walking in parallel bars -very fearful- with one hand or with just palms.

My balance sucks center of gravity is all over place.

any thoughts thanks
    Appreciate the small gains and the large ones will be ignored!!

For me the transition just took time and practice. I also felt like I needed the security of a "spotter" someone who walked near me so I could grab an arm for balance if need be. My center of gravity still is off at times, some days are better than others. It looks like you are less than a year out from your injury so give yourself some time to transition. I'm guessing if you are still in PT they will help you develop the skill with the cane. Good Luck!

I would tell you that safe, unwobbly ambulation is more important than the goals of 'graduating' from a wheelchair to crutches, to 2 canes, to one cane, to no gimpliments. It may be symbolic of improvement but I have come to the conclusion over 8 years that you should use whatever allows energy conservation and more normal mobility to keep up with the ABs. Yes, I can walk with one cane, but with forearm crutches I can really rock and cover ground. So I have gone back to using forearm crutches most of the time and I can go further and be less tired at the end of the day. Maybe this should be a consideration.

But to practice, I would use the cane in between the parallel bars for security. Also try heal to toe walking. Killer balance exercise......

When I first got out of rehab, they had me using two T-top canes. When my new therapist saw my instability, she immediately took the T-Top canes away and used Loftstrand canes (forearm). I used this type for the next 37 years and was much more stable.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenJ View Post
    I appreciate my ability to have motor movement below injury.

has anyone made the transition to cane what did you do? I have been walking in parallel bars -very fearful- with one hand or with just palms.

My balance sucks center of gravity is all over place.

any thoughts thanks
    Congratulations Warren, It's quite an accomplishement to graduate to a cane after just a year. My transtion to a single base cane is as follows:

Injury Date: 2/2006

Wheel Chair: 4 months
    Walker with 2 KAFO'S: 4 months
    Loft Strands with 1 AFO: 3 months
    2 single base canes with AFO: 1 month
    1 Quad base cane with AFO: 2 months
    Single base cane with Biness L-300: Since April 2007

Thanks arndog for advice but not to worried about speed as of yet to keep up with ABs. Would love to be able to walk in restaurant with a Quad cane. Just feel insecure with bulky walker thats my personal demons that i have to overcome.

Elaborate on heal toe excersise, I can not get heal strike with right foot b/c drop foot. contemplating surgery tendon leghtening and gastrok(tendon) re-assigment. after a year of stretching w/ botox unsuccessfully.

Kelrod not there yet just started this week gotta get over fear.I let go one side and I fear lifting foot off ground. Thx

What I started this week....

balance in bars with slight knee bend putting weight thru quads no knee lockout.

balance in bars on foam cushion putting emphasis on ankles

Balance in pool that is actually the hardest I think the minor current in water throws of center of gravity.

Heel to toe walking is the following:
    Stand on right foot. Put left heal just in front of left toe. Stand on left foot. Put right heal in front of left toe. ETC. What this does is narrow your stance and makes walking harder (as if it needs to be harder, ugh).
    I don't know where you are at but I totally understand wanting to graduate from a walker if possible. I feel the same way about walkers. But, hey, consider forearm crutches - more stability than 2 canes, slightly more of a pain in the a@@ at a restaurant to stick under the table and not trip up the waitress. It is one thing to tip the waitress, but another thing to trip her. As you can see I am a fan of forearm crutches because of what they enable me to do - 'to go far'.......

yeah, man - congrats on your improvements, but you have a ways to go yet! what is good to see is that you have drive. that is #1. without drive even AB's get so fat they can't move so your desire to do so is a good sign. get out of that pool & cruise the P. bars with no help and then go to a walker until you can start getting reciprocating gait then see where you go. one of my #1 goals was to be able to get off the floor by myself - think about it. - Garro.

getting reciprocating gait then see where you go.

What is that reciprocating gait?

one of my #1 goals was to be able to get off the floor by myself - think about it. - Garro.[/QUOTE]

True falls will come