Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silver Coated Catheter

Silver Coated Catheter

Hi all. Like many of you i suffer with UTI's. I have a SPC catheter and it seems like I've tried everything to stop getting them, but now I've been told about the Bardex Infection Control Foley Silver Coated Catheter.I was told it might help keep UTI's away. Has anyone tried them ? do they work ? or am i just wasting my money?

Blog Entries
    I put a thread up last year about my few months trial of the two 'versions' of them. I'm a 14yr foley user btw. The latex caths secrete a protein that binds with the silver and 'uses' it up, so to speak, so it isn't available for infection control. So they are less effective than silicone caths with silver imbedded in them. The DOWNSIDE to pure silicone caths are that they are TOO STIFF and cause problems I went into in the other thread.

IF you use them you will notice a big reduction in utis... IF you change the latex ones every two weeks, the silicone ones last a month but the 'lubricious' coating on each of them seems to last only about 6 or 7 days, then they begin 'sticking' again.

NOTE...the utis are gone BUT colonization REMAINS. For me that wasn't enough to justify the high cost of the caths. I was getting them for 13 bucks for latex and about 17 bucks each for silicone. I have used the same silicone-coated latex foley caths all my 14 years with (minute variations).

NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT PART....

If yopu want to be uti free AND NO colonization, use Microcyn (human) or VETERICYN (veterinary use). I use Vetericyn and have since April of this year. I have NO colonization. I flush my bladder every week or two with 10-20ccs of V retaining it while I take a shower.

Microsyn requires a doctor's prescription to buy and Vetericyn does not. I buy mine from a veterinarian that I found on ebay, spending about 30 bucks for a 16oz bottle. I also use it on my animals wounds and have used it on a few animals of my friends and my neice had a 'rash' on the back of her leg the docs couldn't get rid of. Worked great on all of them, lol.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vetericyn-VF-Hyd...item335f0e5356

this is where I buy it. I recvd my 3rd bottle 2 days ago.

Now you might have to do twice daily flushes with 60cc for a few days but to be free of utis it is worth it.

There was a LONG thread here about it recently. If you need any info from me, holler.

People can fuck up cooking an over easy egg.... so it doesn't surprise me that there are those who can't rid themselves of uti's using this. BUT if you do it right, it'll work. This stuff is safe and has no side effects. It kills everything that they kill with antibiotics and then some. Even MRSA !! There are videos on utube, testimonials from vets, docs, people. Check it out.

their website...
    http://www.oculusis.com/us/technology/

it costs more on his website tho...

Good Luck !
    remember, holler if ya need help...
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 08-03-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Silver is supposed to decrease infection but we need a good long term study to really prove this works over the long run and is worth the increased cost. But if you are having the problem the try it and let us know if it helps. We tried it on a few pts and had mixed reviews.
    CWO

This interested me because of my wife's colonization, so

1. Silver: A silver-coated catheter does seem to reduce the probability of UTIs in my wife, and it also appears to reduce the severity of colonization, as evidenced by the amount of gunk in her urine. But we haven't done a careful comparison, and our statistics are very poor. In our case, the cost differential turns out to be maybe $100 or $150/year, so if there's even a small effect, it's probably worth it.

2. Microcyn: I looked into this a little further.
    Microcyn's premarket 510(k) notification as a medical device (read "device" as "wound dressing" in this case) was cleared by the FDA. That means it is considered substantially equivalent to an existing device. The submission to the FDA and their response makes no mention of any special properties beyond what I'd expect for any good wound dressing. I can't find any references to microcyn on the web other than from their own web site. In the journal article that they cite the first sentence is:
    Super-oxidised solutions (SOSs) are electrochemically processed aqueous solutions manufactured from pure water and salt (e.g. USP-grade sodium chloride, NaCl). During the electrolysis process, molecules are dissociated and reactive species of chlorine and oxygen are formed.
    That is, it's basically salt water. The article concludes that it's less toxic than hydrogen peroxide; not really a surprise. Their web site contains too much gobbledegook for my comfort, and based on that alone I don't think I'll squirt it into my wife's bladder. I'd want to see more third-party investigation. If there gets to be more evidence for it's efficacy, I'll buy into it. Nevertheless, if it works for you, great; I wouldn't disparage it - maybe I'm too fussy about cooking that egg.
    - Richard

My ID doc started me using a silver-coated catheter last September after I was hospitalized 4 times last year with uro sepsis. I've only had two infections since, and one was completely my fault, so for me the silver-coated have worked. I do drink over a gallon of water and take various supplements, as well, but I think the silver-coated catheters make the difference.

Best wishes and God bless! I know what a pain UTIs can be.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

That is, it's basically salt water
    Microcyn is hardly salt water. Check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAiWWNCfYH4

And this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2saruj3qvQv

Try using salt water against necrotizing fasciitis (Dermacyn is the same as Microcyn):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b0gp2C8R5E

FYI:

Silver-Based Wound Care Products
    Robert Northey Ph.D
    Oculus Director of Research and Development

The antimicrobial properties of silver have been well known for centuries. In the ionic form Ag+, silver has good antimicrobial properties against a broad spectrum of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria1,2. It is used in the treatment of burns and wounds for the reduction of bioburden. Silver, as soluble salts, chelates, or nano crystals, is applied topically in solutions, creams, or gels. It is also incorporated as a slow release agent into a wide variety of dressing.

There are drawbacks associated with different commercialized silver systems which should be considered when making treatment choices.
    • With soluble salts such as silver nitrate and silver sulfadiazine, high levels of silver are initially released but there is limited residual activity. It has been found that these treatments slow the start of wound healing3, can cause tissue staining4, and in some cases a variety of problems due to the adsorption of silver5,6. Silver toxicity has been well documented with these products7,8.
    • There are a wide variety of silver impregnated dressings available which serve as barriers to infection and sources of slow released silver ions. Toxicity and silver adsorption are minimal with these products. The development of silver resistant bacteria has also been noted with the increasing use of silver based products9.
    Microcyn Technology’s liquid and gel products (HOCl) compete with and are compatible to silver based technologies in the wound treatment market. While both silver and Microcyn Technology products have demonstrated excellent antimicrobial efficacy, there are major differences between these technologies:
    • Hypochlorous acid, the antimicrobial agent in Microcyn Technology, is naturally produced by the human body for protection; silver is not.
    • The effective concentration of hypochlorous acid in Microcyn Technology is well below toxic levels. Toxicity is a concern with silver products.
    • Microcyn Technology does not stain the skin.
    • While silver products are only used for their antimicrobial properties, Microcyn Technology has also been shown to posses highly useful anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine and vasodilation properties.
    Microcyn Technology has been tested with best-in-class silver products and dressings and is compatible when applied prior to use of the silver-based product.

[1] Jones, S.A., Bowler, P.G., Walker, M. and Parsons, D, Controlling wound bioburden with a novel silver-containing Hydrofiber® dressing, Wound Repair and Regeneration, 12(3) 2004 288-294
    [2] George N, Faoagali J, Muller M. (Silvazine, (silver sulfadiazine and chlorhexidine) activity against 200 clinical isolates. Burns. 23 1997 493–495
    [3] Innes, M.E., Umraw, N., Fish, J.S., Gomez, M., and Cartotto, R.C., The use of silver coated dressings on donor site wounds: a prospective, controlled matched pair study, Burns, 27 2001 621-627
    [4] Wang, X.Q., et al, Silver deposits in cutaneous burn scar tissue is a common phenomenon following application of a silver dressing, J. Cutan. Pathol. 36 2009 788-792
    [5] Chaby, G. et al, Topical silversulfadiazine-induced acute renal failure, Annales De Dermatologie Et De Venereologie, 132(11) 2005 891-893
    [6] Ganelli, R.L., Paxton, T.P., and Oreilly, M., Bone-marrow toxicity by Silver Sulfadiazine, Surgery Gynecology & Obstetrics, 117(2) 1993 115-120
    [7] Fraser, J.F., Cuttle, L., Kempe, M., and Kimble, R.M., Cytotoxicity of topical antimicrobial agents used in burn wounds in Australasia, ANZ J. Surg., 74 2004, 139-142
    [8] Hollinger, M.A., Toxicological aspects of topical silver pharmaceuticals, Critical Reviews in Toxicology, 26(2) 1996 255-260
    [9] Percival, S.L., Bowler, P.G., and Russel, D., Bacterial resistance to silver in wound care, Journal of Hospital Infection 60 2005 1-7
    Last edited by Leila; 08-03-2010 at 08:52 PM.

I stand corrected. After electrolysis of the salt water (among other methods), you end up with a weak solution of hypochlorous acid (HClO), which is a decent disinfectant. It makes sense that irrigation with it should be reasonably effective as well as gentle on the tissues.

Thank you rfbdorf. Actually, the HOCl (hypochlorous acid) is only part of the equation here. What makes Microcyn (Vetericyn) so remarkably effective as an antiseptic is the way the HOCl works in tandem with reactive oxygen species. This is also the way the immune system works, through oxidative burst. This is something no microbe can stand up to.

Microcyn has been evaluated by the USP <51> Antimicrobial Effectiveness Test, passing with flying colors. It is now designated as a Category 1 product. The log reduction rates are spectacular.

The healing properties of neutral super-oxidized water (Microcyn/Vetericyn) are threefold. 1. very effectively reducing bacterial load 2. enhancing local blood supply, thus enhancing neovascularity 3. signficantly reducing inflammation by inhibiting mast cell degranulation, cytokine production, histamine production.

The medical applications for Microcyn are too numerous to list here. FDA clearances are coming steadily through this year and next. It has been used for mediastinal irrigation after open heart surgery, as well as the treatment of peritonitis and intraperitoneal abscesses--major medical procedures.

Microbes cannot develop resistance to Microcyn, so we will most certainly be seeing more medical breakthroughs involving Microcyn. But the point of all this is people shouldn't have to live with these recurring UTIs, and they shouldn't be afriad to try Microcyn to help them break the cycle of dependence on increasingly ineffective antibiotics.

Once people have educated themselves on this subject, they can then decide for themselves.

I have used an indwelling foley for 25 years. I usually averaged at least 4 UTI's a year. I was diagnosed with pseudomonas 2 years ago and had 6 UTI's that year. I started using the Bardex Infection Control Foley Silver Coated Catheter a year ago and have only had one UTI since so I'm sold on them. I also started taking a once a day cranberry vitamin you chew, much easier than taking all the pills and less calories than drinking cranberry juice. I get them at Walgreens right now they are buy 1 get 1 free, here's the link;
    http://www.walgreens.com/search/resu...ranberry+chews

I hope they work for you too.
    Renee

Nurse---do you know anything about Microcyn? Your thoughts-

I remember one of the nurses saying to irrigate with something that started with an r? renicin? Do you know what I'm trying to spell?

Which is better?

Will the silver coated catheter stop stones forming? That's my problem.