Thread: Am I right that CC defies Heisenberg?

Blog Entries

Am I right that CC defies Heisenberg?

I know the application of Heisenberg falls apart simply with the difference between reading the view count and opening the thread, but isn’t it a catchy title? But am I right that the view count applies to individuals and not just views? I am counted when I first view a thread but not on any of my return visits?

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    I know the application of Heisenberg falls apart simply with the difference between reading the view count and opening the thread, but isn’t it a catchy title? But am I right that the view count applies to individuals and not just views? I am counted when I first view a thread but not on any of my return visits?
    To my knowledge, it counts every view, even by the same user. The reason why it doesn't update if you look multiple times at a thread is because the counts are updated for display about once an hour. You can rack up the view count if you want to click a thread multiple times. Seems sort of a waste of time, to me.

Wise.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Wise. Racking up the view count would not be my purpose. I was just curious, forget even what made me notice. And I had Heisenberg on the brain, thanks to another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Thanks Wise. Racking up the view count would not be my purpose. I was just curious, forget even what made me notice. And I had Heisenberg on the brain, thanks to another thread.
    Randy, I know that you aren't interested in doing so. I was saying it for others who might want to rack up view counts.

In the beginning, I thought that the view counts were specific for each user. This would require the program to keep a count the views of each thread by each user. Most users are not even members.

Another way of asking the question is whether or not there is a measure called unique view counts, i.e. number of unique users who have viewed a thread. Although google does keep a count of unique visitors to the site, vBulletin does not (to my knowledge) have keep a unique view count.

We use Google Analytics to count unique visitors and page views of the site. In the past month (July 2 to August 1, 2010), we have had 221,275 visits and 142,789 "absolute unique visitors", 1,067,662 page views, average 4.83 page views per visit.

Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    To my knowledge, it counts every view, even by the same user. The reason why it doesn't update if you look multiple times at a thread is because the counts are updated for display about once an hour. You can rack up the view count if you want to click a thread multiple times. Seems sort of a waste of time, to me.

Wise.
    I have also noticed the view count thingy not changing on repeat views but I somehow managed to take it personal, like I didn't count. Thanks wise and random for salvaging my selfesteem.

Wouldn't this prove the Heisenberg uncertainty principle? You can't get an accurate view count of a thread while viewing a thread.
    tom

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society