Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Simply Smarter" Dragon 11 Announcement

"Simply Smarter" Dragon 11 Announcement

Here ya go - For all of us crazy Dragon users: (my Dragon trainer/reseller sent this)

http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/products/whatsnew_upgrade.asp

Bear in mind, the upgrades are not "scheduled" to ship for Dragon Pro until late August.

http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeak...s/whatsnew.asp

press release: http://www.nuance.com/news/pressrele...9_dragon11.asp

Availability
    Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 Home and Premium are available immediately starting at $99.99 through Nuance’s Web site as well as its global network of reseller partners, software retailers and professional sales organizations. Dragon NaturallySpeaking Professional 11 and Legal 11 will be available in the coming weeks from Nuance and through Nuance’s value added resellers worldwide. For additional information on features, editions, pricing and volume licensing programs, please visit http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking.

I'm using version 9.5 and so long as I speak well and have a good headset, it takes about 30 minutes to train and it is about 95% accurate. I use it all the time for just about everything. Plus, as you go on with it it can train itself as long as you correct the mistakes, so as you go it becomes more accurate. Hope that helps.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I like these prices.

NaturallySpeaking Premium 11 (formally known as Preferred) ~ $200 ETA mid-to-late August
    NaturallySpeaking Premium Upgrade 11 ~ $100 ETA mid-to-late August
    NaturallySpeaking Pro 11~ $599 ETA mid-to-late August
    NaturallySpeaking Pro 11 Upgrade ~ $200 ETA mid-to-late August
    NaturallySpeaking Legal 11 ~ $799 ETA late August to early September
    NaturallySpeaking Legal 11 Upgrade ~ $200 late August to early September

But because I have professional now I particularly like this price (http://www.pcspeak.com/products/upgrades.shtml) because it includes the book from Larry Allen "Scripting for Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11"

Last edited by takenaback; 08-03-2010 at 06:35 AM.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Good morning everyone,

This message has been brought to you by Dragon NaturallySpeaking with no corrections needed. I've come to use it pretty much for anything that requires typing.

My dexterity in my right hand isn't what it used to be I find it very efficient way to get my work done. You "can't beat the bang for your buck". It has eliminated a lot of frustrations.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    But because I have professional now I particularly like this price (http://www.pcspeak.com/products/upgrades.shtml) because it includes the book from Larry Allen "Scripting for Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11"
    Great! Thanks for the heads up - just ordered my upgrade :-)
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Actually it will probably take seven minutes to get it going where it will recognize your speech somewhat accurately but not perfect. Just make sure you have a good headset for it. I recommend the Andrea headset's. They aren't very expensive and they're pretty comfortable to wear all day. I've had a few of them.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Great! Thanks for the heads up - just ordered my upgrade :-)
    You will be making your purchase from pcspeak. I haven't had time to check things out thoroughly, but I want the full version (I will pay more) as well as the upgrade. I'm not sure why Lunis is charging $15 for DVD insurance.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I run my website www.flattrack.com totally with NaturallySpeaking preferred version 10, never use a mouse or keyboard.
    It works fantastic compared to the DOS version I started with a long long time ago.

However, I still have to proofread everything I dictate because sometimes the Dragon will type the most off the wall stuff you can imagine.

I also use it to control my television, stereo, and lights with environmental control software and devices.

Can't live without the Dragon and he knows it.

State of the Art
    Reliable Dictation, Down to a ‘T’
    By DAVID POGUE
    Published: July 28, 2010

Nuance, the company that makes Dragon NaturallySpeaking for Windows, is in a pretty sweet position: It’s essentially a monopoly. One by one, its competitors in the speech-recognition business have either left the market (Philips), gone out of business (Lernout & Hauspie) or turned over its product to Nuance (I.B.M.). Even the sole Mac speech-recognition program, MacSpeech Dictate, can no longer be considered a kind of rival; Nuance bought it this year.

New York Times
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 home review

I received my copy of Dragon NaturallySpeaking 11 in the mail yesterday. I have never used any Dragon software prior to this. I have been using the built in voice software that comes with Windows 7 for the last two months.

I was having accuracy problems with the Windows software even after training and months of correcting words. Plus I couldn't get it to work in some applications. So I pre-ordered DNS 11 back in July.

After installing Dragon 11 I skipped the training just to see how well it could do right out-of-the-box.I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy. It was already much better than Windows. I still haven't done any training and its very spot on. I was also happy to find that it worked in all the programs that the Windows version did not work in, like games.

There are some problems though, for me at least. When using MouseGrid there's no way to zoom out once honed in on an area. You have to completely reset the MouseGrid and start over which can be tedious. The numbers on the MouseGrid are very small and hard to see plus you can't mouse click on other numbers besides five. so that means more zooming in to get the number five over the area you want to click. I really like the Windows MouseGrid better. It just seems more intuitive.

Another thing, there is no way to set a default profile in the settings. So every time the program starts you have to hand choose a profile. There is a workaround you can do by editing the shortcut it uses to start, but will I remember that in a few months when I reinstall the program? I have no idea why they didn't add a default profile option in settings.

The program itself also uses a lot of memory compared to the Windows software. Right now it's using up 400K of memory. By far the biggest memory hog in my process list. The speech software in Windows only uses only 30 K. I guess the improved accuracy has something to do with that? Also last night while I was using it, it seemed a bit sluggish. Especially when I was using the MouseGrid. It would take a second and a half to actually change grid sizes.

Other than that I'm pretty satisfied with it. it sucks that Nuance doesn't have a users forum for its customers. That would be a great way to get help and suggest improvements.

My computer
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    4GB Memory
    160GB SSD hard drive
    Windows 7 32-bit

My microphone
    MicFlex