Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: monogomy?

So we know that western religions influenced the shifting norms toward monogomy...it's very difficult to give biological arguments for difference between genders and their sexual motives because you cant separate the influence of learned sex roles. I wonder how genetics play into things however.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

If you are in a primitive society where there is plenty of food and survival is easy, there probably will be less monogamy - if you find yourself in really tough survival circumstances where survival is marginal, monogamy will have the advantage. For people like us, up against the wall, monogamy often prevails.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    Jesus is speaking symbolically here. The New Testament never mentions Jesus Himself being married. Marriage doesn't literally make two people one..
    Jesus came to bring salvation to mankind, and that is the only purpose He came for.
    When a man and a woman join together, God calls it as becoming one flesh. That is why the commandment:
    "Thou shall not commit adultery"
    Also: 1 Corinthians 6:18
    18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?"

You know how many "Christians" have broken this one? Can a divorced person consider himself saved? After all, a divorce is ONLY rectified if the marriage is brought back together. Therefore, all divorced people are living in a damned state..
    Everybody will be judged according to their works.
    Gods children are not those that call themselves by this name or that name, but those that obey His commandments and do His will.
    The Lord Jesus Himself says:
    Luke:6:46
    “Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?</SPAN>

I used to belong to the UPCs and that was their prime verse. In fact, unless you spoke in tongues, you'd never received the Holy Ghost in their eyes. They prefer ghost over spirit. I've no clue why because spirit always seemed more positive to me than the word ghost..
    As far as I know speaking in tongues is one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.
    The Holy Spirit is also the one that works in peoples hearts to condemn them of their sins, and guide them to God.

Yes, Paul addresses it and I don't think Paul wrote truthfully. I believe he wrote based on what he believed in his day, but in Paul's day, they believed all mental illness was demon possession. Today, we know this to not be true..
    Jesus and His apostles cast out many demons. Jesus even says there are different kinds of demons. Satan and his demons is what corrupted this world. The scripture tells us that we are fighting against powers and principalities that are spirits, not against flesh and blood.

If homosexuality is so bad and chosen, why do homosexuals torture themselves over it? How many homosexuals need to kill themselves before we stop convincing them that they can pray the gay away? I'm sorry, but you can't pray it away any more than one can wish their SCI is no more.
    Homosexuality is another type of demon that possesses people. People can become demon possessed when they lust, or greatly desire after something. Once somebody becomes demon possessed it is very hard to get rid of a demon, and once he knows your weakness he will always come back to taunt you.
    Last edited by ac06; 08-02-2010 at 09:13 PM. Reason: quotes
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

Quote Originally Posted by ac06 View Post
    Jesus came to bring salvation to mankind, and that is the only purpose He came for.
    When a man and a woman join together, God calls it as becoming one flesh. That is why the commandment:
    "Thou shall not commit adultery"
    Also: 1 Corinthians 6:18
    18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?"
    If they're one flesh after marriage, aren't they just masturbating? That's intended as a joke, but has a pearl of wisdom in it, too, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ac06 View Post
    Homosexuality is another type of demon that possesses people. People can become demon possessed when they lust, or greatly desire after something. Once somebody becomes demon possessed it is very hard to get rid of a demon, and once he knows your weakness he will always come back to taunt you.
    Then blame the demons, not the people. You do realize the mere fact that one is possessed means one doesn't control himself? Does that not make sense at all?

If they're one flesh after marriage, aren't they just masturbating? That's intended as a joke, but has a pearl of wisdom in it, too, I think.
    They unite as one for a purpose that God intended, procreation.

Then blame the demons, not the people. You do realize the mere fact that one is possessed means one doesn't control himself? Does that not make sense at all?
    Yes, once a person is possessed they have a hard time controlling certain impulses, desires or actions, even if they know that it is wrong to do so.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Jesus said to him, “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me." -John 14

I agree somewhat with the genetics theory as well. For instance, not all of us are biologically wired the same. I use for example my wife and my brother's wife. His wife is always subdued and never really talks or wants sex. She is opened about that and I have met her family over the years and they are realitively quiet and not so much vibrant folks. My wife is probably typical of a thirty something women who's hormons are raging and seems to like and love sex more now than ever. They both are the same age within a year or so but it seems they are genetically different and the desire for sex and companionship are varied.

The question I have is age old. When you see a chubby guy with a beautiful women or vice versa? Can a person who is genetically beautiful be monogamous with someone who is not? After all,society will down the for being together. It was like in the movie Hitch where a rich beautiful women was in a relationship with chubby dorky guy.
    Last edited by TMAZ; 08-03-2010 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TMAZ View Post
    I agree somewhat with the genetics theory as well. For instance, not all of us are biologically wired the same. I use for example my wife and my brother's wife. His wife is always subdued and never really talks or wants sex. She is opened about that and I have met her family over the years and they are realitively quiet and not so much vibrant folks. My wife is probably typical of a thirty something women who's hormons are raging and seems to like and love sex more now than ever. They both are the same age within a year or so but it seems they are genetically different and the desire for sex and companionship are varied.

The question I have is age old. When you see a chubby guy with a beautiful women or vice versa? Can a person who is genetically beautiful be monogamous with someone who is not? After all,society will down the for being together. It was like in the movie Hitch where a rich beautiful women was in a relationship with chubby dorky guy.
    Hey, us chubby dorky guys sometimes have hidden assets!
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I always figured monogomy started when caveman got tired of cavewoman beating the shit out of him for his exploring of other cave girls.
    Life's perceived journey in this PMR is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy **** what a VR ride!"
    Pete C6/'97

Quote Originally Posted by TMAZ View Post

The answer to your question is yes, they can be monogamous, just like the women you see with men who use wheelchairs. They care more for an individual then what other people think of them.

well, i've seen research that shows women on average go for men who show more economic stability and resources while men go for younger, healthy, attractive women. Women do care about appearances, just not to the degree men do.
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson