Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Emotional rant on POS chair ruling our lives

Emotional rant on POS chair ruling our lives

Dave has an Invacare TDX with tilt.It is less than 2 years old and has not had heavy use.
    Right now it is stuck in tilt. It took 4 of us bringing the the Hoyer lift into another room to get him out an into down the hall into bed. In the middle of it I was suctioning Dave and tripped over the cord adding to my agitation.
    Last fall we took it back to Craig when he went for re eval and were told there was a factory problem when it was made. It had been working most of the time since. We had it in locally and they were so confused by the sip n puff, but eventually found a loose wire.
    Maybe this rant should be in Life or Caregiving and not Equipment, but I am so damn frustrated. I have no idea how long it will take to get this POS fixed once we get it in on Monday once I even figure out how to get it there. I can only imagine parts needing to be ordered etc. He can't stay in bed and the manual chair is not ideal, plus the manual tilt on that hurts my back and takes away and control he has over anything.
    I feel so frustrated and inept that I had to call for help just to get him out of it. His brother tried messing with it, puffed in and shot the whole chair forward into a table pushing it feet in air across the room, banging Dave's foot and taking a big chunk of wood out of a chair. What in the hell was he thinking? I wacked the kill switch and no one was hurt. At least he came over, usually he is scarce if we need help. Out of sight out of mind.
    We planned on going to a Blue's Fest tomorrow and doubt I can get that manual chair through the field. I wish I were stronger, more mechanical or calmer. We get out so little and were really looking forward to seeing some friends.
    Feel frustrated and sad because of a POS chair.
    You would think with everything that has happened since his SCI I'd be taking this in stride, but this is putting me over the edge.

I empathize Linda, sometimes sci just keeps piling it on, day after day, with no let up. I'll be sorry if you miss the Blue's Fest, but maybe you can get someone to help you so you can still go. Hang tough, things will turn around for the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    Dave has an Invacare TDX with tilt.It is less than 2 years old and has not had heavy use.
    Right now it is stuck in tilt. It took 4 of us bringing the the Hoyer lift into another room to get him out an into down the hall into bed. In the middle of it I was suctioning Dave and tripped over the cord adding to my agitation.
    Last fall we took it back to Craig when he went for re eval and were told there was a factory problem when it was made. It had been working most of the time since. We had it in locally and they were so confused by the sip n puff, but eventually found a loose wire.
    Maybe this rant should be in Life or Caregiving and not Equipment, but I am so damn frustrated. I have no idea how long it will take to get this POS fixed once we get it in on Monday once I even figure out how to get it there. I can only imagine parts needing to be ordered etc. He can't stay in bed and the manual chair is not ideal, plus the manual tilt on that hurts my back and takes away and control he has over anything.
    I feel so frustrated and inept that I had to call for help just to get him out of it. His brother tried messing with it, puffed in and shot the whole chair forward into a table pushing it feet in air across the room, banging Dave's foot and taking a big chunk of wood out of a chair. What in the hell was he thinking? I wacked the kill switch and no one was hurt. At least he came over, usually he is scarce if we need help. Out of sight out of mind.
    We planned on going to a Blue's Fest tomorrow and doubt I can get that manual chair through the field. I wish I were stronger, more mechanical or calmer. We get out so little and were really looking forward to seeing some friends.
    Feel frustrated and sad because of a POS chair.
    You would think with everything that has happened since his SCI I'd be taking this in stride, but this is putting me over the edge.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Thanks rdf, I just needed someone to understand right now!
    I have never said the words f*cking piece of shit so many times in an hour.
    And poor Dave having to be lugged about-it was not pretty.
    I feel defeated.
    Last edited by LindaT; 07-31-2010 at 12:32 AM.

Sorry to hear about the chair problems. I worry about the same thing happening because I use the tilt feature several times daily. I wish we could all have a spare but they are way too expensive to be able to do that.

I hope it gets repaired soon!
    Renee

Sorry about your problem. Sometimes you can get a backup power chair at reasonable cost. We have an old Quickie power chair that I purchased after seeing an ad on a bulletin board while food shopping. It was an older chair that a guy with MD was no longer using. We bought it for 250.00 and had a new wiring harness added. Has worked well. We have a small DME in area who has a whole outbuilding full of old chairs; power and manual. We have seriously considered buying one for 800.00 that seems to be in great shape. You may want to consider looking for a backup to buy out of pocket for use when the crappy technology on the insurance purchased chair fails you.

Your husband is a lucky guy to have you.

Oh Linda, I am so sorry that Dave's POS chair is causing such difficulties and stress. For the record, I don't think there is anyone on the planet who wouldn't experience your frustration and anger if they were in the same circumstance. It does seem like the more complicated the set-up the more likely things are to go wrong, which truly sucks. So far it hasn't happened, but I often wonder who the hell would get me out of the chair if it got stuck in tilt as I am not exactly a lightweight. I agree with ancientgimp that a decent back up chair might be a solution. It won't be ideal, but better than being stuck. I don't know if Dave would be up for it, but I would advise going to the blues fest if possible and then finding a gate agent or security to wheel him to a good location. Do the same when leaving. You are NOT inept because you needed help to get Dave out of the chair. Dave is a good size guy and help would be needed by almost anyone other than Atlas himself.

I was up until 4 a.m. looking at chairs, trying to find a decent manual at a decent price on ebay. It looks the the "demos" are chairs that were ordered wrong so have bizarre measurements built in, hence rejected by the client. 9" from seat front to footrest? And they all seem to have 18" seat depths.

I'm freaking distraught that my kuschall is going down with my husband. I need mobility, dammit. Stuck in house by stupid chair...injury level is irrelevant. We all have to have wheels under us. So sorry you're missing the blues fest, that sounds great.

I guess I need to learn to work the medicare system, sigh. My formerly good insurance is now just supplemental, for the same premium-even w/ Steve gone. Agghhhh. Everything I read says medicare only pays for manual chairs for indoor use. Messed up state of affairs.

The pawn shops across the street from hospitals here are overflowing w/ power chairs. Probably not ideal, not sip-n-puff, but might work in a crisis.

I bet your husband's bro has been dying to blow on that tube for 2 years.

It is quite easy for me to empathize since the term 'stuck in tilt' and ' f*cking piece of shit' have become part of my vocabulary as well.

I bet your husband's bro has been dying to blow on that tube for 2 years.

Bethany-You have no idea how much I needed to hear that at this particular moment!! You are the best. Describing how his family has dealt with his SCI could take pages.
    Thank God for my highly dysfunctional, yet pull together in our new life family.

The situation has just opened a Pandora's Box of frustrations andfeelings for me of how dependent we are. Now the aide is late. We will get to that damn fest if it kills me. His manual chair is very nice, but tough pushing and not as convenient to hang all the stuff we need to drag along. Also it fits poorly in our van. Dave has not had a "voice" yet today, but appears in good spirits and almost reasy for speaking valve.

I have scoliosis and am a poor pack mule. Plus it makes him feel bad in ways I am sure you all understand. It reminds me of how our friends have dwindled as life goes on for them (plus Dave had the fishing boat-haha) I am not complaining, please understand that.
    Finding a gate or security person is a good idea. We are meeting my sister and some friends there and i know they will help too.
    meanwhile the aide has got here, our phone are not working. I swear a "wiregeist" is at work around here.
    Meanwhile the chair sits center stage in it's crazy tilt taunting me.
    Thanks for hearing me out everyone and your good advice and humor. Yes Eileen, it would take Atlas-haha. Who is that guy that keeps pushing the rock up the hill and it falls back? That is how I feel.
    Why this thing is setting me off is a puzzle. I usally find humor in the absurd things that happen.

Linda, if I was there I would give you the biggest bear hug ever and then push that damn chair with you thru the rocks and to the fest.

Glad you got a chuckle from Betheny, she always does it for me too!