Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: how many try to hide pain?

My husband hides his pain.
    My kids and I are the only one that really knows how bad he feels. He says he's tired of trying to talk to his parents or sisters as they really just don't understand.
    I have tried to turn to them for moral support, but they have told me they don't think it's that bad. So.... he just quit talking to them and so have I.
    Friends? He pretty much secludes himself and does not have any. He has acquaintances that he does talk to but they don't know.
    Work? He has switched jobs on average every 2 yrs because of the pain and inability to continue to do particular job. He does not disclose the severity of it to the potential employer as he has been turned down when he did.
    So yes, I think there are alot of people that hide their pain.

Grimacing from Pain

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I only tell a few people. Of course, everyone sees me fidgeting and grimacing.
    Ah yes the 'grimace'.

I recall about a dozen years ago an acquaintance of mine said to me; "Would you stop doing that, it makes me cringe."!!!

I just rolled away, but always remember him saying that. People don't want to see us in pain, they don't want to know about it. As another poster said' "I don't to trouble my daughters with my pain news. My husband knows when I am in pain and he distracts them."

Same with my spouse, I cut way back on talking about my pain with her. She knows when I'm grimacing what that means. I turn my face away from any observers or look into my lap when grimacing to spare them from my pain!
    Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Pain
    It is Isolating.

When it's bad, I can't talk to people. I try to get away to be alone because people who do not know me think I'm rude. It makes a bad impression. No way I explain to strangers. It sounds like complaining no matter how I word it.
    People want to fix me but can't. They say "are you ok?" as I try to get away.

With friends/family they know what I'm doing. No words are needed.
    Nobody wants' to hear about pain. They just stare at you.
    That is what this oasis is for. Talking about pain is OK.
    Priceless !

my boss accused me of showing a bad attitude in staff meetings because i was "rolling my eyes," fidgeting and sighing. i was in so much fucking pain i just wanted out. had nothing to do with my attitude about my work. i was just miserable stuck in there. just an example of how pain can be misinterpreted.

I think I understand what you are trying to say.
    I have hidden my pain issues for 2 years, until now. It has gotten so bad I had to tell my boss I can no longer work. I am working part time, and we are working on modifying my position. But i do not work in a corporate environment.
    I remember this summer going to Dallas for 20 meetings I had scheduled (sales). I barely made it, and would drink wine in my hotel room at night just to fall asleep. Then they closed the airport because of a storm and I had to sleep on the floor. I never told anyone how much agony that was.
    My boss was stunned when I told him this has been going on since May and slowly escalating.
    Even now. I am sitting at work, barely able to concentrate BUT I am here.
    I have told some friends now too, a lot of them are stunned too. They see all of my "happy" pictures and thought I was simply ditching them when I didn't show up.
    But how much can I really talk about it?
    My boss still, last week, compared my tethered cord to his tennis elbow injury

Ever since I was a kid my I've lived in pain which is now chronic , I try every moment to hide my pain but usually my eyes are filed with tears .

Pain makes very quiet . Sometimes I have to shut off all the lights and just go rest in silence.
    In my case 30 + years of this makes me wonder how much longer Can I try to mask my pain and go on . !!!

No use in me complaining about something I can not control .

I just keep on going .
    GL

Mine goes up and down. In general people whom I care about know that I usually have pain. I don't always talk about it when I feel it, but I tell my family or friends that I am struggling with high pain if its affecting my attitude so they don't misinterpret me and it negatively affect our relationship. If it gets too bad I don't even have the energy to think or worry about others though. I just have to get through. I wrote a "pain plan" to follow if it gets bad because I can't think too well especially if it happens late at night. It involves praying a prayer I wrote, trying to go to the bathroom, then laying in the static back position and watching tv and taking tylenol pm,then if needed an extra lyrica and possibly oxycodone. Now I diverted from the topic...oh well. God, give us all relief.

I hide my pain from myself because I just don't want to hear about it. If you find out I'm in pain, please don't let me know. Thanks!
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

darla, would you mind sharing your pain prayer? you are not diverting this topic, far from it. you are sharing your experiences. to me, that's what cc is all about. when really bad, i recite things i learned as a child. i repeat them over and over in my head, a mantra, if you will, to keep from going crazy or calling 911.

FO, as always, you make me smile

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    would you mind sharing your pain prayer? you are not diverting this topic, far from it. you are sharing your experiences. to me, that's what cc is all about.

FO, as always, you make me smile
    Actually, Cass - I was talking the truth about the pain management technique that works the best for me. Pure and simple denial. Do I hurt? Nope! I think I do! No you don't, it's all just in your head! Okay, guess I was wrong.

See how easy that works? Anytime I start to catch on to a different reality, I just distract myself and feed me a drink or two. Poor bastard never catches on. He's just an old fool.

I don't recommend this pain management program for anybody else, but it works for me. I'm easily distracted.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg