Thread: Dizziness after eating salt or apples

Question Dizziness after eating salt or apples

Aside from my sci (from Transverse Myelitis in 2004) I also have Septo-Optic Dysplasia (which caused me to be blind, have parts of my brain actually missing, and some thyroid issues). I was also born with Cerebral Palsy. (I'm not bragging lol, just listing everything in case it is relevant!)

Anyway, when I was a teen I noticed after eating popcorn I would become extremely dizzy! To the point where at times I would have to lay down and try to not pass out while the room spun! This only happened when eating popcorn and continued throughout the rest of my life till my sci.

I was checked for Thyroid issues and told that it was borderline where I could take medication for it, but I could leave it alone and monitor things. I chose to leave it alone (and cut back on popcorn)!

Since my sci I have been getting extremely dizzy for what seems like no reason at all. This is the "norm" right now, and I don't even pay that much attention to why anymore, but now whenever I eat anything even remotely salty I get very dizzy almost immediately! I just ate a couple of low sodium Tostitos chips and I nearly fell over sideways I got so dizzy! I was fine until I ate them. This also happens whenever I eat a couple of bites of apple. When it happens my face feels very cold (it starts like a wave at my forehead and feels progressively colder until it gets down to the point where I can't feel then a few minutes later my face gets very hot and I feel very flushed.

Does this happen to anyone else?

have you ever been on heart and blood pressure monitors to see if your vitals change when you feel faint? just wondering. have you had allergy tests for these foods? any other symptoms? I have a latex allergy, and aside from hives, wheezing, and pounding slow heartbeat, theres that passing out feeling.
    It might be nice to have your blood glucose level checked also. I had to quit taking baclofen because it affected how I use insulin some how. I would get a powerful tired feeling, and dizziness right after eating, and would wake at night feeling very strange. my sugar was going very low as I slept and then high after eating. Have you had sodium levels checked?

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    have you ever been on heart and blood pressure monitors to see if your vitals change when you feel faint? just wondering. have you had allergy tests for these foods? any other symptoms? I have a latex allergy, and aside from hives, wheezing, and pounding slow heartbeat, theres that passing out feeling.
    It might be nice to have your blood glucose level checked also. I had to quit taking baclofen because it affected how I use insulin some how. I would get a powerful tired feeling, and dizziness right after eating, and would wake at night feeling very strange. my sugar was going very low as I slept and then high after eating. Have you had sodium levels checked?
    When I was in the hospital this happened a lot in the evenings when I ate apples with my medication. I had one curious nurse check my blood pressure before and after I ate for the full week (mon-fri) while she was on that shift and my blood pressure was a lot lower after I ate. She told the Dr. this and it was simply skipped over and I was told "just don't eat apples".

At the same time I had a huge red rash down my inner thigh where the catheter was touching my leg and was very red and swollen and there was a very bad "discharge" that included blood. I was told I must have been on my period (even though I was on the Depo-Provera shot and had been for awhile. It always stopped my period and it wasn't my period. After awhile as I got sicker I was given some cream to help with the rash.

After my catheter blocked numerous times and the bag was constantly filled with very dark blood like urine I was sent for an ultrasound on my bladder. It turns out I had a softball sized blood clot in my bladder! My stomach had been really distended, but this was blamed on my "time of the month".

That's when my latex allergy was figured out. Well actually not until after then, but it took them a good long while to figure it out... The only foods that I react to are dill pickles and bananas. If I'm near or eat dill pickles my eyes burn, feel very dry and like there are sharp things in them and start to tear up a lot and if I touch banana peel I get a rash where I touched it, but I can eat them fine if someone else peels them.

All Baclofen ever did for me was make me so out of it that I actually drooled a little, nearly choked numerous times from saliva and made me so relaxed my heart rate went very slow and I had to force myself to remember to breathe when my lips started to tingle. Meanwhile my arms were too relaxed to move them, but my legs kept kicking! It was the weirdest feeling I ever had, and I never took it since!

I've been meaning to to find a family Dr. I recently moved back to Canada from the UK, then moved to another province and have been staying with my mom until I can find a suitable place to rent. (Hopefully I will find something very soon!) Then I have a long list of appointments I need to make. This house is so inaccessible and it's so hard to get in and out of it makes way more sense to wait a little while longer.