Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The Sweet Tooth Thread

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    Looks pretty TW. What flavor is the cake? I'll take mine chocolate, please. I make a candy cane cookie for Christmas. Does the bakery make Christmas cookies?
    Hmm which cake? We do make Christmas cookies, I've just been way to busy to do any picture taking lately. This morning when I got there 45 minutes early and was unlocking the front door of the shop so I could go in I had some one waiting in their car for me, asking if we had anything they could buy yet. Over the next 45 minutes while I was cleaning the front and preparing the shop for the day I had 20-30 people at different times banging on the door or window wanting in early. Then we opened and stayed busy all day until we closed 3 hours after our posted close time, very busy day and it's been like this every day this past couple of weeks. We are on a old time Historic Main St. for a town in Texas with the title of Christmas Capital of Texas. The whole Main St. area is lit up, they have a North Pole Express Train running every hour, a tractor making rounds up and down the streets pulling a trailer covered in hay and kids, Santa Clause on stilts walking around....etc. They just go all out this time of year, so we get a lot of people from out of town, it's like something you see in the movies. Great for business, killer on my back.

Today we had sugar cookies cut into candy canes, mittens and snowmen, all covered with butter cream icing. The candy cane ones even had peppermint flavored butter cream icing on em, I'll try to think to get a picture of some in the next day or so.
    Most everything I say is

The street must be beautiful-it sounds like the movie "A Wonderful Life."

Yeah, it's pretty crazy and unbelievable still that we've got a shop, much less a shop in the middle of all of this. Last Saturday my wife taught two classes on decorating Gingerbread Houses at the Convention Center. Two days before that she did a cookie decorating class at our shop for 45 people getting off a tour bus that came to town just for the Parade of Lights that night in which we had over 100 floats all lit up one end to the other.
    Most everything I say is

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    Hmm which cake? We do make Christmas cookies, I've just been way to busy to do any picture taking lately. This morning when I got there 45 minutes early and was unlocking the front door of the shop so I could go in I had some one waiting in their car for me, asking if we had anything they could buy yet. Over the next 45 minutes while I was cleaning the front and preparing the shop for the day I had 20-30 people at different times banging on the door or window wanting in early. Then we opened and stayed busy all day until we closed 3 hours after our posted close time, very busy day and it's been like this every day this past couple of weeks. We are on a old time Historic Main St. for a town in Texas with the title of Christmas Capital of Texas. The whole Main St. area is lit up, they have a North Pole Express Train running every hour, a tractor making rounds up and down the streets pulling a trailer covered in hay and kids, Santa Clause on stilts walking around....etc. They just go all out this time of year, so we get a lot of people from out of town, it's like something you see in the movies. Great for business, killer on my back.

Today we had sugar cookies cut into candy canes, mittens and snowmen, all covered with butter cream icing. The candy cane ones even had peppermint flavored butter cream icing on em, I'll try to think to get a picture of some in the next day or so.
    It is wonderful to see someone with excellent skills doing so well. Sounds like a perceptive pick of location plus a commitment to quality, hard work and great skills is paying off. This is heart warming.

Why I didn't think of this before.... while I'll try to keep posting up in here some new picture, we try to at least get all of our new ones added up to our Flickr site, it's full of pictures, I also try to keep the Facebook page updated daily to let customers know what's in stock.

Our Flickr photo album and our Facebook fan page.

To be honest Ancient, we just kinda got lucky. My wife was working a 40 hr job for the Ritz Carleton here in Dallas while doing a bunch of catering on the side. The side business picked up enough that she had to make the decision to either stop doing it or to quit her 40 hr/wk job. So she called the culinary school she went to to ask if they knew of any commercial kitchens to rent that she would be able to do catering out of. At this time we'd never been to Grapevine or even knew about the downtown area. They gave her a list of kitchens and we started looking at em. About 40 minutes away we found this cool kitchen that is about a block off of the Historic Main Street of Grapevine. It just so happened to be about half way between two of her biggest clients(it's pretty much in the middle of Dallas and Ft. Worth). So since it would be about the same drive for either of them that's how we picked it. She started doing catering out of it in Jan 09, I was working for Apple at the time. Then in August of the same year a chocolate store a block away on Main St. closed shop overnight, no one knows why, but they left everything behind, all the counters and shelves, hell even their cash register, they only took the money out of it and their computer.

So my wife had the idea that after only 9 months of having her own catering business and it paying for itself as we've never took out any type of loan, that it was time to open a store front bakery, as that was her whole dream to begin with after a 12 year career as an accountant that she quit to go to culinary school. This was Sept 2009, the middle of the recession from hell and she is wanting to open up a bakery without a loan while also running her catering business....to say I was less then thrilled would be an understatement, but ya can't stop a dream. So we opened on Halloween weekend last year, the first few months were horrible( $900 in sales the first 3 months), then I got laid off on Jan 3rd this year from Apple, wasn't a good feeling. Instead of looking for a new job, we decided that instead of paying 2-3 people to work the bakery front part time that I'd work it full time for free and over all we'd save money. So I did, things started picking up around Valentines when every one came in looking for the chocolate store that had been there and found us instead. Since then business has constantly grown each week and each month so that we've been able to add much more to the menu, have a constant flow of regulars as well as tourist or business people in town for conferences. We are now actually putting out sweets at capacity, yesterday we literally were selling faster then she could bake and refill the shelves, so we've found an investor and are about to expand a little in the equipment department, never knew a freaking mixer could cost so much.

So not a "perceptive" pick of location at all, just sort of a lucky find, however the commitment to quality and her great skills are paying off, she uses only the top of the line ingredients, we have people all day thinking we add something special to our stuff. They don't realize that because it's actual good quality ingredients and it's all made from scratch that it causes it to taste that much better. My wife has become a food snob, she won't even think of using some of the crap ingredients that most bakery's use. Unfortunately she also won't let any one cook or bake anything yet because she doesn't trust them to not screw it up, so a day or two off or a vacation of any sort is out of the questions. We had our 10 year anniversary on Nov 11 and was able to go out and eat at 6 pm and then go home for bed as she had to start baking at 5 in the morning.

Hah, just realized how much I wrote, it's a wonder how much time you have waiting for your clothes to dry. Sorry to bore, now off to the shop!
    Most everything I say is

Not boring at all. You guys work amazingly hard.

I agree not boring at all. So happy for you and your wife and I will listen to a man tell how great her wife is any day. Call it luck or call it a genius idea, you have a very special lady there. Just remind her, not to work herself to death...take time to smell the cookies

Took a quick shot of our Nutty Chipper cookies, these have milk, dark and white chocolate chips along with macadamia, pecans and almonds in em.
    Most everything I say is

I loved your story Texaswheelz on how you and your wife started the shop. Having a facebook fanpage is great, I've found most of my seach for sweets from the internet. You're right about using quality ingredients, I've noticed that some of the shops I've visited have weird tasting red velvet cake, there's one shop that must be using the good stuff because they have an awesome tasting red velvet cake. Great pictures I enjoy looking at them and hopefully I get the chance to swing by and taste some of your sweets.