Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chair brand Reliability

Chair brand Reliability

Which brands of power chair have you guys found are best for less breakdowns and excellent service if anything does go wrong?

Who would you avoid and why?

Kati

Avoid the Invacare Torque. I'm leaving for another service call. At least 10-12 service calls regarding the electronics on this lemon.

Better yet, avoid Invacare altogether.

I have never had a problem with Pride nor Invacare.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I say avoid Invacare. David has a Invacare TDX3 in the basement, got tired of trying to keep it going.

Today's repair consisted of removing miles of wiring. The new Invacares have all ancillary devices connected with little audio jacks to the control box. They used to be connected very firmly to a controller underneath the chair.

The audio jacks, both female and male, are prone to disconnecting. While tilting the chair for instance, moving the bundle of wires caused the chair tilt to intermittently stop operating. The auxiliary, easy to use Environmental Control Button wouldn't work at all and has been eliminated. I now have to access my ECU mode using the difficult to push rubber button in the middle of the control box.

Stay away from Invacare. This is the last one I will own.

I'm not that fond of Invacare anyway, they are standard issue on NHS. You either get a heavy manual chair or a standard electric one but they have very strict guidelines.

Permobil ones look cool but they are way out of my budget and have read very mixed reviews alot of problems which you should NOT get for a chair of that price.

Balders also out of my price range although they seem more reliable but only have top speed of 4mph in UK.

I like Quickie chairs, also a few Handicare models I have seen like puma and beatle but dont know how reliable they are.

I have heard the Frontier X5 is good for outdoors and seen video of it driving in snow and muddy fields (i have a dog to walk daily), but dont want it too chunky that cant use it in indoor places like shops, get into doctors surgery, taxi's etc

Anyone with any experience of Quickie (particuarly the newish quickie groove) F55s, puma, beatle, 'the alex', Frontier X5?

I'm really wary with salesmen now as they seem to think I will believe anything cos I'm also deaf and I dont find out till after I bought it thats it not right for me. so would really appreciate other users feedback who have used them daily in all weathers for years etc.

Thanks

the rwd and fwd quickie groove is the same as the american. the mwd groove is the same as the quickie rhythm in us. i tried both for a few minutes in roadshow, not hugely impressed. the dont review very well, partic concerning footprint and overall length. i bought a quickie p222se from spinlife for $5800. the closest available here was the p220 which was slower (6mph instead of 8.5mph), inferior electronics, less options and about 8000 euros. the f55 has a good reputation, esp in terms of speed and looks. theres an english guy who customizes them. do a google search for more info. i think theyre europe only.
    the x5 i demoed turned as neatly as my manual chair, plus i spoke to all lot of people who use them exclusively, indoor and out. where you might run into difficulties are its footprint - its 28" wide. if you have an adapted bungalow you should be fine - also most shops/restaurants/lifts, etc...

The Invacare we have in the basement was actually replaced by a Frontier X5, David loves it, it is his full time chair, indoors and out. If you do a search on here there are several other users that have them and they are the ones who reassured me that the X5 was the way to go.

I'd avoid Invacare.

In fourteen years I've had Everest and Jennings, Quickie and Invacare. The two Quickies I had were nearly bulletproof and I put thousands of miles on them. My worst experience has been with my Invacare TDX SP. All sorts of problems with the motors/transmissions. Also there has been a recall on the front suspension since it can pitch you forward hard on a decline. I don't know how well the recall repair will help because I still haven't been able to get the approval for the second motor replacement (both sides have failed now) and gotten the chair in for service.

This part may be confusing - the suspension on the Invacare TDX SP is much better than any Quickie I've had. It's really impressive - when the chair is running. I won't get another Invacare if I have the choice because of the quality issues with the one I have. One problem besides the motors are simply the armrests. They began to show wear and even chunk out and crumble within two weeks. That's incredible. On Quickies they would last years.

Quickie motors are excellent though they can be noisy on some models. The P200 I had was almost too loud to have a conversation with some one, but they never died.

Good luck with your choice. I have heard good things about Permobil and Pride, but no personal experience.

We need a powerful narrow chair here in New England. The RWD chairs i demoed were Pride, Invacare, Permobil, Quickie,& X5.
    Pride R4000 was too wide for my environment and had lot of plastic.
    Invacare had too long of a distance between rear wheel and front casters making 90 degree turns from a narrow hallway not possible. It seemed like a much older design.
    Permobil road like a dream but is TOO BIG.

It isnt just the width that get you in a power chair, it is the front to back measurement which determines if you can make those narrow interior turns from a hallway, say in a home.

The Quickie 646 and 222 were well built designs designed prior to all the big funding restrictions (meaning they WORK GREAT). The 222 is narrower so for me, it wasnt a choice- I need narrow!

The X5 turns on a dime but is 28 wide and with 6 wheels is quite very long making use in a small adapted home unpracticall due to its size. While the rear wheels can be made 4" narrower, the front out riggers for the caster wheels override this (ARE WIDER) and therefore you do not gain the fron to back 24" narrow width that you might expect.

We have been using a Quickie p200, designed before funding restrictions in the US. It is built like a tank and now at 8 years, has developed some issues.
    Basically, it is not just the company, but WHEN the chair was designed as companies have good and bad models based on the realities of the marketplace.

Hope this helps!
    Engineermom2