Thread: Unexplained AD

Unhappy Unexplained AD

I am 61 yr old C6-7 quad female for 43 years. I am experiencing unexplained AD. I have no systems except sometime I am flushed. My BP is normal in AM. In the evening my BP is high 150/70 up to 190/70. I have to take nifedipine two times a week. I have a Foley catheter. I do not have a UTI. The KUB, and renal and stomach ultrasound were fine. My bowel care is fine. I get over heated easily. Heat sees to cause my BP to elevate. Wet towels and ice packs seem to lower my BP. The room temperature is not high. Other people are not hot but I over heat.

Does heat cause AD? Does aging/SCI cause more AD? Do nerve pain and fatigue cause AD? The AD has occurred during the past 3 years. I tore my rotator cuff 3 years ago. My shoulder does not hurt. Thanks for your help! Anne

Yes, overheating/hypothermia are documented as causes of AD in many people. Pain anyplace below the level of injury, even if you are not consciously aware of pain, may cause AD. Unfortunately for many they find that their body seems more sensative and that AD is more easily triggered as they age.

I assume your skin is OK, and that you have had any abdominal pathology ruled out (such as gall bladder disease, an ulcer or gastritis, or appendicitis).

Have you discussed any possible other causes with your SCI physician?

(KLD)

I hear you, I often get facial flushing by just lying down on my back.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Skin is fine.Stomach ultrasound ruled out gallstones. What tests rule out gastritis and appendicitis? My PM doctor and I thought AD was from heat, nerve pain and fatigue. Does fatigue and nerve pain cause AD?? I have a syrinx but no symtoms. My GP doctor gave my shoulder with the torn rotater cuff a cortisine shot because of AD.

I get AD if I get overheated. I've had to really watch going outside this summer because of the heat. I've had pain below injury level.....like an ingrown toenail...that can trigger AD. I have chronic neuropathy and fatigue and have'nt had AD problems from it.

Your shoulder problem could cause AD. Keep your eyes open for "hidden" problems like an ingrown toenail, etc......