Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Heat stroke and the most worrisome 15 minutes of my life

It's happened to me every summer for the last three years. (I'm also a slow learner!) I'd say the beginnings of AD and if caught soon enough, it can be stopped. I just can't spend too much time outside in the heat anymore. I can be sitting with my sweater on and not notice a thing......until it's too late. Then I have to find a cool place to be, fast.

I was outside all day on the covered porch on the fourth and thought I would be alright. After a couple of hours I started getting the headache and new what was coming. They turned a fan on me and within twenty minutes, the headache was gone. Later someone turned the fan and it did'nt take long until the headache was back. At that point I decided to go home in the ac to the ac.....the headache again went away after several minutes.

I don't sweat from my injury level down. My body does'nt seem to regulate body temperature any more. I can't tell I'm overheated until it's too late and it's starting to make me sick. The first few times this happened, I got a lot sicker....even faint. Now I watch how long I've been in the heat a lot closer.

my problem is i can't sweat at all what so ever, and that makes it that much harder to cool off. i didn't have the familiar feelings of AD, just those symptoms i mentioned earlier. i've been drinking both water and gatorade and feel right as rain.

thanks for the well wishes and advice guys. i really appreciate it!
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

I'm glad you're ok. That's way too freaky.

Quote Originally Posted by cali View Post
    my problem is i can't sweat at all what so ever, and that makes it that much harder to cool off.
    Put ice packs wherever they hunt for blood. Elbows, neck, etc. That's supposed to help you cool down more quickly.

re: not sweating, sweat contains pheromones. Could not sweating affect relationship issues? (I was thinking about that the other day.)
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    re: not sweating, sweat contains pheromones. Could not sweating affect relationship issues? (I was thinking about that the other day.)
    I have been wondering about it for many years but on the other hand little seemed to be known about human pheromones the last time I checked (a long time ago admittedly). At least we don't stink, that can help the relationship even without the pheromones no ?...
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

glad to hear ur feeling better and it didnt get out of hand. Almost the exact same symptoms happened to me a weekend ago at a music festival. I was trying to be a bad-ass and sit in direct sunlight around 2pm on a 93 degree day in louisville. I lasted an hour then had to get in shade and i was dousing myself with water bottles and chugging gatorade. My fingers and hands were tingling and my energy level plummeted, so much energy to even sit up. I'm sure blood pressure plays a role. I learned it's nothing to take lightly! Everyone you know your body best and take care of it!
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Put ice packs wherever they hunt for blood. Elbows, neck, etc. That's supposed to help you cool down more quickly.

i'll still begin to have that familiar funk even if i wasn't sweating, though it isn't strong or anything. weird.

thanks again guys
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

That's happened to me at least twice every summer since I've been hurt. It happened to me in my house not too long ago and it wasn't even that hot. Now I keep a spray bottle on my chair at all times during the summer to keep it from happening again. It has helped significantly.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I don't know if it is equally scary but being the caregiver, it scared the beejeebers out of me. I helped my mate by the frozen vegetables placed on his neck, underarms and groin. The day this happened I was keeping a close eye (or thought I was) and it came on very fast. JP became disoriented, quivering lips, arms and hands. We got things under control but it seemed to take forever. He felt pretty weak and listless the rest of the afternoon and then all better by evening. Do most patients with SCI have labile temperatures?