Thread: Can cortisone shots cause worsening of ROM/pain?

Can cortisone shots cause worsening of ROM/pain?

Is it normal after a second cortisone shot to have the area that was treated become much worse after both the first and second shots? The reason I am asking is because after both the shots, the ROM in my shoulder, and the pain have both increased dramatically!! I was never expecting the shot to take away the pain completely but I was not expecting it to make it worse either. What could be the cause of this?? I do have an order for an MRI which I still need to schedule and will be doing first thing Monday morning.

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

I don't know if it is normal or not, but I experienced the same thing a couple of months ago. Had cortisone shot to my knee with some mild relief for a few days and then much worse pain for a couple of weeks to the point that I was almost immobile. I too then had an MRI done which showed nothing more than they suspected which was arthritis, bone spurs and bone bruising. They said nothing could be done. Thankfully, the pain eventually subsided and I am back to where I was. Really makes me question whether I want to have that procedure done again! Good luck!

i couldn't even use my arm after my shot. IMO, and the opinion of other profs, are that the majority of shots are incorrectly given, ususually missing the target and hitting a very pain sensitive anatomical structure.

xylocaine trigger point shots almost always don't hit the trigger point

cortisone shots often don't hit the tendon only and can lead to connective tissue breakdown, putting you at risk for rotator cuff rupture

they rarely are the answer to our shoulder problems

i'm wondering my next step as well, since i am ok in most daily activities, but lost more than 50% strength in others

cuff surg in sci has a mixed long term success rate

if anything, go arthroscopic, not open

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post

cortisone shots often don't hit the tendon only and can lead to connective tissue breakdown, putting you at risk for rotator cuff rupture

cuff surg in sci has a mixed long term success rate

if anything, go arthroscopic, not open
    I agree my primary Dr gave my 1st shot & missed the target.
    It didn't help at all!

The orthopedic surgeon did great! No pain at all for 5 months!
    Next time his nurse practioner did it and it has helped but not as good as the surgeon.

I keep putting off MRI. not good
    Gonna try to live w/o any more shots.

Becky sorry you're still hurting. {hugs}
    Be sure and exercise it. Don't let it freeze up.

Becky, when I had my shots in my hip (before paralysis) all the times I had them a radiologist did them under x-ray to make sure he got in the joint. I don't recall having extreme pay after each shot but the more I did the less it helped. It also depends on if the radiologist is good and really pays attention weather it works or not.

Thanks for all the feedback! I am trying to keep moving and stretching it but it feels like I am going to snap something and the pain gets even worse when I try to stretch it.

Becky
    since 1/3/04

Finally getting MRI for shoulder pain!!!

I just wanted to share that I am finally going to be getting an MRI for my shoulder pain! I can't believe I'm actually thankful for this. How sad is that??

Thanks for all the helpful advice so far!!

Becky
    since 1/3/04