Thread: Unlocking Sure-Locks in a Vehicle

Unlocking Sure-Locks in a Vehicle

I had a Deputy Sheriff tell me one day about a problem he had encountered the night before.

He responded to call call of a van flipping over. Upon arrival, the driver was unconscious and in a wheelchair and his chair was locked down. No one knew how to release the locks and had to remove him from his chair by forcing up the steering wheel.

On my new van, the guys are putting instructions on the inside of the driver side sliding door instructing how to manually unlock the chair from the floorboard. Van users may want to consider doing the same.

Regards.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I've been thinking of making an 'in case of emergency' package with instructions on how to unlock the sure lock, run the lift manually, engage the manual release on doors, remove the pedal guard etc. and taping it somewhere obvious, maybe to the ceiling above my seat.... and putting a window sticker or something on a few windows saying where the instuctions are.

Also, since I live in a small, one firehall, town I am going to go in and educate the firemen on my equipment and chances are I'd crash somewhere near home as I don't travel much.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Excellent!
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

That is excellent advice. We too live in a very small town and I have been to the volunteer fire department, I gave them a map of our house and where David sleeps. Also have a sign in our bedroom window with just an X on it which is what they recommended in case of house fire. They didn't want me to put a wheelchair or anything like that in case a criminal would see it, but heck there is a ramp on the front of the house.