Thread: e readers

e readers

any quads using them? any recommendations?

the barnes & noble model looks more quad friendly and versatile than the sony models

I'm looking into them too, not sold on ponying up the cash for an iPad. I have a $50 gift card to B&N, making the Nook $100. It's tempting. It's not a flawless device, but at its price point, it's a pretty good deal IMO.

I need solid PDF support though... haven't found much info on that (but I haven't looked much either).

The Nook is pretty awesome. Pretty good PDF support, some line wrapping issues with one PDF I tried, but the others have shown up pretty well. Aesthetically, I think it looks 10 times better than the Kindle 2 IMO. Also, with the new software, 1.4, the page turns are about as quick as the Kindle 2 now, which was an issue when I was looking to purchase it. I'm a para, but the buttons are relatively easy to press, I'm not sure how the LCD keyboard would work for you. LCD screen could be more responsive. Battery is good, use airplane mode. Wifi works very well. Overall, I think BN has something good going with the Nook. I do believe they brought sexy back to reading.

f
    ight

I like my Ipad. Easy to read and plenty of free books out there.

Agreed with rubberas, the ipad works well.

Quote Originally Posted by donz View Post
    The Nook is pretty awesome. Pretty good PDF support, some line wrapping issues with one PDF I tried, but the others have shown up pretty well. Aesthetically, I think it looks 10 times better than the Kindle 2 IMO. Also, with the new software, 1.4, the page turns are about as quick as the Kindle 2 now, which was an issue when I was looking to purchase it. I'm a para, but the buttons are relatively easy to press, I'm not sure how the LCD keyboard would work for you. LCD screen could be more responsive. Battery is good, use airplane mode. Wifi works very well. Overall, I think BN has something good going with the Nook. I do believe they brought sexy back to reading.
    sounds positive, thanks.

any idea how PDFs display if they're created in landscape orientation, with 2 columns of text (for example)?

I'd buy an iPad but don't really need to spend $500+ for it (though it is the best option, in my mind)... I have eBook readers on my iPhone, and really all I'm looking for is a bigger screen for reading electronic docs that I seem to collect for grad school & other projects... without using my laptop.

PM, Scott.

f
    ight

The whole reason for an ebook reader, in my eyes, is the e-ink. I can read books on my laptop if I want ipad-type reading. The e-ink is quite amazing how it emulates a typed page. Same exact physical response for me as reading a regular page = no headache. Reading on laptop = headache. That's for me anyway.

f
    ight

Quote Originally Posted by donz View Post
    PM, Scott.
    email on its way, thanks

I have a Kindle and like it a lot, especially because you can read it even out in the sun, something difficult to do with an iPad.