Thread: Caregiving pay question ~ please help!

Caregiving pay question ~ please help!

Hello everybody ~ I don't post on here very often but I am always reading on here and learning. I may not be posting this in the right place so please move if needed.

I have been my husband's caregiver since his accident April 2010. He was hurt on the job in the coal mines. He is a T9 complete. We have never had anyone to come in to assist with his daily routine. He perfers me being the one to help him. And I don't mind being his only caregiver. He was in a wonderful rehab that taught me about all the things I needed to know in order to take care of him. I started being hands on while we were still at rehab. The life we live now is so different than before the accident but we have managed to pull through together. At this point, I am needing to go back to work so my question is: Will workers comp have to pay for him a caregiver or could they just pay me? I checked on how much it would cost me to hire a caregiver myself and it would so expensive. While talking with the lady, she brought it to my attention that workers comp was responsible for paying for him a caregiver or paying the spouse. I was floored that I did not know this! I wanted to see if anyone knew anything about this and how to go about getting it taking care of. Thank you so much .. sorry this was so long

Hello, I am not familiar with worker comp. My husband started a waiver program in January. I am paid for 40 hrs a week of his care and we have a couple PT aides. Since he would qualify for a nursing home we were accepted.
    He is a C3 complete.
    Hopefully someone will have some info for you.

I think you would have a hard time getting someone to pay for a care giver. At T-9, he should be completely self sufficient, unless there are other medical issues that came along with his accident.

Thank you for both replies.

I am having a hard time understanding why so many people on here tell me how independant he should be. I understand that with time he will get to a point where he can do most things on his own but he has only been hurt a little over a year and we are still learning how to make things easier and adjust. I do not "baby" him or wait on him hand and foot. There are alot of things he does on his own and there is still things I help him with. There is days when he is burning so bad that he can't get out of bed. Those are days I help him the most. I just know that I would run myself crazy at work worry about him getting bathed, dressed, and bowel program by his self at home. I feel like some people just don't understand that it takes some people longer to adjust to this way of life.

Hi Darrellswife ... sorry for not responding sooner !

Please don't be put off by our responses. Yes you are very early into this journey and with no benchmark except for the shared experience of those of us who have been there .. what funklab is saying is true ... while at the same time it is also true there are many mitigating circumstances that affect independence regardless of injury level ... it's subjective and each injury is completely unique.

My husband Bill is injured at T5 over 12 years now and is pretty much independent of his daily care ... but he didn't get there over night. As fate would have it he has an ileostomy (so no bowel program) and he wears a leg bag to pee. He has had numerous skin issues and pressure sores that have required my attention and still does ... we probably could have had attendant care for that but I chose to do the nursing part changing the dressings etc. because .... well that's just what we chose to do ..... and when he is feeling well enough he baths on his own with me near by just in case .... I think funklab was simply trying to ease your mind based on his own experience so you wouldn't be feeling like this is it forever and ever .... your husband will eventually get to the point where he will be able to and more importantly "want" to do as much if not all his own care.

The first few years are so tough and different for everyone ... finances, family/friend support, geography, AGE ... all these things play a significant role in how it all unfolds. Finding us ... using and abusing us ... will help ease that load greatly .... so have at us ... there is no question too silly or too dumb .. remember none of us were prepared for any of this !!

And do remember to take care of you .... too .... this is a long and winding road .... and care giver burnout is a very real issue that often rears its ugly head long after the damage is done .... I wish you both all the best .....

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Quote Originally Posted by darrellswife17 View Post
    Thank you for both replies.

I am having a hard time understanding why so many people on here tell me how independant he should be. I understand that with time he will get to a point where he can do most things on his own but he has only been hurt a little over a year and we are still learning how to make things easier and adjust. I do not "baby" him or wait on him hand and foot. There are alot of things he does on his own and there is still things I help him with. There is days when he is burning so bad that he can't get out of bed. Those are days I help him the most. I just know that I would run myself crazy at work worry about him getting bathed, dressed, and bowel program by his self at home. I feel like some people just don't understand that it takes some people longer to adjust to this way of life.
    Sorry if I offended you, I really didn't mean to. Its just that they will probably not want to pay for a caregiver for him. Pain is a terrible thing, I am blessed to not have much of it. However I have never heard of someone getting a care giver to take care of them because they were in too much pain, and I think it's highly unlikely that they will bend over backwards for you.

You might as well try though, you never know.

best of luck

Darrellswife I have no advice for you other than I kinda do understand where you are coming from. My husband has MS to the degree that he really only has the use of his right arm/hand. His vision is messed up but not blind. There is no program available for us to get assistance either. With MS some days are better than others for David. I am working but pay for part time help to get David up out of bed do some range of motion exercises and spend some time with him, and I basically do the rest. We aren't dealing with workmans comp but I do have a friend that became a para at work and workmans comp has been very good to him, they even bought him an outdoor 4x4 power wheelchair, 2 porchlifts, etc. I would try for all its worth. Good luck and as Obie said remember to take care of yourself. I have been doing this for 4 1/2 years now and somedays its harder for me too. --Lisa

Thank you all for your replies again.

I was not offended and I am sorry if I came off that way. I do get frustrated sometimes and word things the wrong way. I don't wait anyone to ever think that Darrell is just being lazy and I am doing everything for him. Family and friends have often said things to that effect. So I am always on the defensive side. My husband is such a hard worker and really does want to do the most for his self...But between us...I feel he gets afraid sometimes without me. It's like I am his security blanket. If I run to the store he can't wait for me to get home. It breaks my heart to see him like this. Again I am sorry.

As far as workers comp they have been pretty good about things so far. I am really upset with coal mining industry instead of workers comp. I can't help but think that better safety measure would have prevented this from happening. I don't want him treated like a comp case instead of person. He went underground everyday to make sure they had lights on at there homes and he gets hurt and forgot about as a way to say thank you. ..Sorry just venting...btw..this site has saved me many of time..so thank you