Thread: natural form mattress?

natural form mattress?

hi everyone,

i'm a C4/C5 complete quadriplegic and I'm looking into getting a new bed and mattress. I currently have an air pressure relieving mattress with the motor on the end etc. have never had any pressure sores in 8 years but don't want to start now! Have any quadriplegics used this mattress or can anyone offer any advice? Many thanks for your help

http://www.satbed.com/

anyone at all?

Hi Cluskey 007,
    Up until 4 years ago, I slept on a natural foam mattress on an electric (adjustable) bed platform frame (not hospital type bed). The electric bed made it possible for me to raise my feet to drain fluid (edema) and sit up a little or a lot depending on what I wanted to do. You do have to be careful about sitting up too long and about what the sheets and mattress pads are doing underneath you (wrinkles and bunching). Since my injury (C6/7), I have slept on a natural medical sheep skin. I did not have to be turned, but I am blessed in that I have "rhino hide" for skin and haven't ever had any pressure sores.
    Four years ago, I switched to a Sleep Number Select Comfort Adjustable bed. I really like the bed. I still use the natural medical sheep skin and have added one across the bottom of the bed for my feet. I still do not turn at night, I sleep on my back. Sometimes if I want a change of "latitude," NL will turn me to a side when she gets up in the middle of the night. We have two x-long twin mattresses, side by side. NL has control of her own sleep number comfort and I have control of mine.
    If you are currently using the bed I think you are, you have probably learned to ignore the constant drone of the motor and inflator, but I used one in a hospital, when I was septic during chemotherapy for non-Hodgkins lymphoma. I don't think I slept a wink. You might even miss the noise at first. :-)
    Regards,
    GJ

I like my new simmons beauty rest with pillow top. it isn't adjustable, but oh do I love sleeping in it. I got it at an outlet for less than half the retail price.

hey, thanks for the feedback.

So it is possible for a C4/C5 quadriplegic to sleep long-term on a pressure relief mattress that is not motorised? are there any makes better than others?