Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schwalbe Marathons

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Schwalbe Marathons

I've been running on Schwalbe Marathons for more than a year now and I think they look great, but they are very heavy and very expensive.

Some folks are talking about Schwalbe Right Runs, how do the two tires compare?

I'd love to save the weight and the money.

No comparison. Right Rnds are IMO far superior to the MP's. I had a pair of MP's for about three hours before switching them out. I bought a pair of RR's and think they are far superior to any tire I've used so far. They are light,fairly puncture resistant and last much longer than the Panaracers I used before the RR's.

You've got me convinced to try some RRs. I have a few months left on my current pair of Marathons and I've got another pair to go through after that, then ...

On the other hand I may just get a pair or RRs and put them on another set of wheels, see how I like them. I just can't get over how expensive and heavy the Marathons are. My wheels are heavy enough, add the extra weight of Marathons and oh boy.

I've got to get me a pair of Spinergys. Need to lighten things up. I really don't mind extra weight when I'm pushing, it's getting the chair and wheels in a car when I really notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    No comparison. Right Rnds are IMO far superior to the MP's. I had a pair of MP's for about three hours before switching them out. I bought a pair of RR's and think they are far superior to any tire I've used so far. They are light,fairly puncture resistant and last much longer than the Panaracers I used before the RR's.
    I agree, i`ve got MP`s too and i changed them after been rolling with them only a few weeks, my rides are much better with RR`s.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    From the pics I've seen, there isn't much in the way of tread on the Right Runs.

Stephen, change to Right Runs and inflate them up over 110psi and after we will speak about the tires.
    The different is not really in the way of tread, the really different is inside the tires.
    Marathons have a big rubber punchture protection, that make that even if you inflate the tire to the maximum the tires are like a bit soft because all that rubber, and that traslate to more resistent, but with the Right Runs if you inflate them to the maxium you could feel perfectly the difference, you will go like a rocket.
    In this tires is important have them with the correct pressure, allways over from 85psi, if you roll down the pressure recommend your sides will crack easy.
    Last edited by totoL1; 07-20-2010 at 10:48 AM.

From the pics I've seen, there isn't much in the way of tread on the Right Runs. The Marathons last forever; I can't imagine getting anywhere near the same mileage from the RRs.

Stephen, yeah the mileage on the Marathons is basically, freaky. I mean they seem like they won't die. I remember when I thought my first pair was wearing out and I bought a replacement pair. The months went by, month by month, geez I still had maybe five or six months to go on the first set. That part is great.

A couple of things I don't like though are, when the tires are brand new, they have much less rolling resistance than when the tread begins to wear. Also, as I have said, they are freaking heavy. About twice as heavy as other tires, I've weighed them out besides Kendas and Primos. I've use Tuffy tire liners with other tires and they add almost no weight. With Tuffys I've pulled glass out of my tires with pliers and still not had a flat. So I'm thinking I could get the puncture protection without the extra weight of the Marathons.

What I can't get though from any other tire, as far as I can see is the great look of the Marathons. Any of the older folks around here remember when the only tires you could get were hospital grey? Getting away from that almost seems worth anything.

I am thinking about trying the Right Runs though, they have black sidewalls and look like they have low rolling resistance and with the low price ...

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    From the pics I've seen, there isn't much in the way of tread on the Right Runs. The Marathons last forever; I can't imagine getting anywhere near the same mileage from the RRs.
    Agreed. I use marathon literally forever, until they cracked, but still have decent thread on it...so i changed it into another pair of marathon. Last me more than a year....
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

How much more weight are we talking about? And did you maintain pressure on at least a weekly basis? The lightest tire in the world will feel like a rock at 50% pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    How much more weight are we talking about? And did you maintain pressure on at least a weekly basis? The lightest tire in the world will feel like a rock at 50% pressure.
    If I remember right, the Marathons weighed just about twice as much as the Primos and Kendas I had laying around. I did the math and realized I was carrying around a lot more weight because of the tires I chose.

To answer you about the tire pressure, I keep it at the recommended 145psi. I always keep my tires at the maximum pressure to reduce the rolling resistance. A tech once told me I could take some, I think they were Primos, past the recommended 110 all the way to 120psi and they'd be fine. I ran like that for a year at least. No problems.

I'm not doing that with the Marathons, don't want to take any risks with tires this expensive. As I've said, I love their looks, number one reason I have them. The long mileage is great but I don't think the math works out on that part. Considering the cost I could be replacing Right Runs a couple of times and still be under the cost of the Marathons.

For a long time I was pretty embarrassed about being in a chair, just being honest. Getting a good looking chair and making it stand out as little as I can makes me feel better. I'm pretty comfortable with using a chair now, it's like a part of my body, but I still like understated looks. I have a Tilite TR with black Round Betty, Enzo wheels (heavy) and the Marathons. I want to change the wheels to Spinergys to save some more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post

near 100 grames, not much but you will feel it pick in up into the car.
    Yes, every week you may to maintain the pressure.
    The lightest tire of the world is the Schalwbe Speed Run, weight the half of a RR`s (200grames less) and you have to inflate it with the same pressure 85 to 145 psi, some day i will try them, but don`t have punchture protection.
    Last edited by totoL1; 07-20-2010 at 05:50 AM.