Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hipsters into Moonshine

yeah lead=blindness. i saw a thing on the history channel about it. the bootleggers will sometimes you a lead based sauder to make their equipment because it's cheaper. then that lead leaches into the moonshine.
    Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
    http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
    My regular blog:
    http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Serious Moonshiners have Facebook pages.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...gid=2214770424
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Shut yo mouth girl! You are right in the heart of some of the best moonshine ever made! Franklin County, Virginia!

So many people these days are making inferior 'shine, adding a pint of peach schnapps to a gallon for flavoring and selling it as true peach 'shine. No where close. There are still good sources around to some awesome shine.
    So there still are old-school moonshiners still out there! There used to be a moonshine culture in the Canadian province of Prince Edward Island. It was a dry province for over a century so naturally the locals adjusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Susqu View Post
    I heard something a little while back about it being legal to run your own distillery for purposes of making alternative fuels. I guess it's all in what you call it or what tank you pour it into. I believe that was a federal exception and individual states may have other restrictions.

Good to know that not ALL the old skills are being abandoned.
    I'm surprised they didn't put the kibosh on the alternative fuel angle. They are losing taxes that would normally be imposed on the fuel. Perhaps fuel taxes aren't as high south of the 49th.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    So there still are old-school moonshiners still out there! There used to be a moonshine culture in the Canadian province of Prince Edward Island. It was a dry province for over a century so naturally the locals adjusted.
    Absolutely. Maybe not on the scale it was years ago, but it is readily available IF you know the right people.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Alcohol fuel manufacturers are required to add a chemical to make it undrinkable. I'm sure you have to be licensed. You CAN buy kits to make your own bio-diesel from vegetable oil (which is non-alcoholic).
    Moonshine is generally (unlicensed) non-aged corn liquor. Storage in charred wooden barrels is what turns it brownish and changes the taste, that's usually called whiskey.
    I tried the real Franklin county deal as a teenager and it burned like a mutha. It was supposedly good stuff, my cousin was born & raised there and procured it. I'm just not a liquor drinker, and if I do I'd rather have bourbon, like Wild Turkey.