Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can urine be too clear?

Question Can urine be too clear?

This thought arises because I'm drinking more ice water to cool off in the good ol' summertime w/ the resulting urine differing only in temperature; clear, colorless and odorless. My mom, an RN from way back, worries my kidneys aren't doing their job. I'm slightly concerned any medication I take is getting flushed away.

Should I cut back my fluids a bit? or ?
    Robert

live free, drive fast

Too much water could leech out electrolytes such as potassium and other nutrients. Water intake depends on your type of urinary technique. Suprapubic and condom cath require copious amounts of water, but not at excessive levels that might cause other problems, such as overworked kidneys and even death.
    Did you discuss this with your doctor?

Do a Google search on "Water Intoxication & Hyponatremia". There are lots of articles to read. The Wikipedia article is very comprehensive.
    Cheers.
    GJ

A simple blood test will let you know if your sodium levels are in the right range. You may need to balance the extra water intake with a little more salt in your diet.

Thanx y'all. That was quick.

Drunk on water! What a cheap date!
    I know, I know, lol.
    Robert

live free, drive fast

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    A simple blood test will let you know if your sodium levels are in the right range. You may need to balance the extra water intake with a little more salt in your diet.
    What Scaper said.

When did you last have tests of your kidney function (such as a creatinine clearance)? Any other tests that would indicate what the function of your kidneys are? I assume you don't have a disease such as diabetes insipidus. How much water are you drinking??

(KLD)

Clear urine is solid gold. I call it troutwater and call my wife in to take a look.

Nothing better than a clear bag of piss! Makes my day!

Btw my new aide said my urine was odorless.
    She asked if it was my nutrition? I eat very healthy.
    I didn't know the answer. Could it be?

good question. i aim for clear urine at night. even pre injury it had some colour by morning, and still does. my last kidney check was great. but it is a question to which i have never been given an authoratative answer. over hydration....hmm.....double hmm....