Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 160 Mile Bike Ride...

160 Mile Bike Ride...

in one day.
    Do you think this is doable? I'm talking about an average Joe, not a professional cyclist (with proper training).
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    in one day.
    Do you think this is doable? I'm talking about an average Joe, not a professional cyclist (with proper training).

I think it’s defiantly doable, but it would be tough. The one thing that you would defiantly have to worry about is the skin on your but.

The most I have done in one day is 100 miles and it wears you out. But I have done shorter rides that were even worse. It all depends on how much climbing there is. One time I rode from Durango to Ridgway in southwest Colorado. We had to go over Coal Bank pass at 10,640 ft, Molas Pass at 10,910 ft, and Red Mountain Pass at 11,018 feet, all in the same day. I think it was just over 80 miles and it took me over 10 hours but I refused to get in the sag wagon. And that was just the first day of a 6 day ride! Oddly enough I didn’t have as much problem with my skin on that ride as I did on the MS-150 that I did last year. It went from Denver to Fort Collins and back, 150 miles in two days, 75 miles each day. I was only on my bike for less than 6 hours each day, but I ended up getting a pretty bad pressure sore. I think maybe it was because it was so hot that weekend.

Only guy I know to accomplish near that is Jim Martinson. He did the Seattle to Portland, 200 miles, in one day. Average Joe no way. Seasoned trained athlete, possibly. As Lee points out, there are a lot of variables. Jim is a double amp with 35 years of racing and handcycling in.

Ya, hilly terrain it would be really rough. I did a 80 mile ride one day in real hilly terrain and it was really rough. If it was all flat, its probabley doable assuming its not real hot outside. Flat and tailwind @ 67 degrees F I'd think it would no problem. Lots of hills @88 degrees, no way.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

The terrain on this ride is flat to rolling hills, and has a time limit of about 14 hours (they don't want people riding after dark). The ride is taking place this weekend (no I'm not considering it for this year) and it keeps calling my name. I'm actually thinking about trying it next year.

Lee, dont you use a good cushion on your bike. Longest i have been on was 3hrs in 90 degrees, skin wasnt even red.......

Mike, set the goal and train man. Im amazed how fast my marathon training is coming along. You can do it
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I did the RAGBRI several times as a young Ab, it did take some training, but we were just average farmer types. I would try it again if I had a good bike and some time to train. if you a thinking of something like this, you do need to train. for one, the exposure to the summer sun and heat on a ride like that is very hard on the body. we could tell who did not train. they dropped out like flies. maybe all down hill you could do it without at least some training.

I agree, check it out and train for next year. The worst thing that would happen is you would be in better shape lol. Great goal to set for sure.

I've been lucky with my BikeMS rides, doing little to no training, but they've only been a 30 and 50 mile rides. I do plan on getting more ride time in before my MS 50 mile ride this September.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    I agree, check it out and train for next year. The worst thing that would happen is you would be in better shape lol. Great goal to set for sure.
    I have two people I know from the MS Rides that are doing it this year (AB). I can talk to them and get more info on doing it next year.