Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brother's MVA

Hi BobDylanfan. I am so very sorry to hear about your brother. My son was injured just before his 18th. bday T12 ASIA A. We're now 20 months post. My son said the EXACT same thing your brother did , "it is what it is", except he added "for now". Those have been his words ever since. It sucks they have SCI especially at such a young age. But life does go on and things do get better. Best of luck to you and yours!
    FAITH: Is not believing God can, but knowing he will.

Welcome. Best wishes to you & your family, esp. your brother.

One day @ a time. Be persistant he's in a recovery based program. You have to go into this process with hope but not so much that life is destroyed if dreams don't come true. Life can still be good either way though.

My heartfelt thank you for this site and everyone on this site. You guys are amazing and heroic. My Bro is doing well. Is classified as Asia B now. He has not been released from the hospital yet. Will be going to the University of Pittsburgh Rehab once released (anyone gone there?)

Many Many Many thank you's.

Please keep us posted!

You sound like a terrific advocate for your brother. It is so important for him to have your support and ability to ask questions and understand what the doctors are doing and saying. I hope your parents will begin to understand that your brother needs their support too. I know spinal cord injuries are devastating to parents. I was 37 when I was injured and my dad, in particular, was always inconsolable.

Stay strong.
    GJ

Can someone explain:

1. T8 T9 Fracture paralysis
    2. T7-T10 transverse paralysis fracture

May Many thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by BobDylanfan View Post
    Can someone explain:

1. T8 T9 Fracture paralysis
    2. T7-T10 transverse paralysis fracture

May Many thanks in advance.
    This is a little confusing. If your brother has a T8 & T9 fracture, it is likely that he has damage to the T7 or T8 part of the cord. For a T7-T10 fracture it is possible that damage could be done to the cord anywhere from T7-t12 in the cord. The paralysis depends upon the part of the cord damaged not on the fracture itself.

A transverse fracture is just a description of how the vertebrae is actually broken and does not describe the degreee (if any) of paralysis.

It would be helpful for us to know what level of injury (LOI) your brother's physician says he has current based on his actual ASIA exam. That will tell both a level of injury (basically, the lowest level with intact sensation and a motor score of 3 or better) and how complete it is (A, B, C, D, or E). For more on this, you can read this article by Dr. Young:

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

For information on functional outcomes for various levels of SCI, you can look for the correct booklet on this page and download for free:

http://www.pva.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=8093

(KLD)