Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother's MVA

Brother's MVA

My Brother was in a MVA 2.5 weeks ago. In emergency was speaking, but could not feel his legs. Ended up mechanically vented in the ICU due to lung bruising poor perfusion ect.

A mylogram was performed, per trauma doc dye made its way around the space as it should except for a small leak. At first the docs thought there was a blood clot but after further ct scans determined this was not the case. Trauma doc also threw out it may be a spinal stroke. The first few days were rough as no one was willing to talk with my parents or I about what was happening.

After demanding to speak with the neorosurgeon, over the phone he stated that my brother has a T-6 T-7 SCI and is an ASIA A. 0-5% chance of walking again.

Meanwhile my brother has no feeling mid belly button down.

Later on on the week my brother had a spinal fusion performed with rods ect to stabilize the area. He was extubated right away after surgery.

He is now out of the ICU in a step down unit. He has not gone into the hardcore rehab as his right shoulder is broken and as not to waste precious rehab time thet are giving him 4-6 weeks until rehab.

At one point he felt the doc touching his right leg and left leg down to his knee, this happened on 1 day and not since. He does not have the anal reflex. However, he senses that his bladder is full.

When talking to him about the accident, he states, "it is what it is" and does not talk about it (with good reason, he is probably still in shock).

As a side note the two other passengers (the driver and back seat passenger) are going to be just fine, which I think is affecting my brother.

That is all I have for now.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Energy and persistence.

Welcome to our forums. Can you get your brother on here too?

I am concerned that they are delaying his rehab. A shoulder injury can be accomodated, but delay will most likely result in him getting weaker and being subject to more complications (and depression). Where is he now? Where is he going to rehab? Is it a specialty SCI rehabilitation program? Have they told him to delay admission? Does he have decent insurance?

Please come back and ask more questions. We can help.

(KLD)

Welcome to CC. Sorry to hear about your brother.

He is at UPMC Presbyterian. The rehab he will go to is UPMC Mercy (which I believe is a model SCI program). He ook a semester off college and did not have insurance at this time. My parents are a mess (he is 19 I am 28). I just want to do some more detective work as my parents don't know what to do.

If you mean the SCI Center at the University of Pittsburgh, yes, they are a Model System Center. Did they actually advise waiting for rehab or is that coming from his current doctors? Michael L. Boninger, MD at the SCI Center and his team are excellent.

Please come back and ask questions and keep us informed of his progress.

Meanwhile, speak to the social worker at the hospital about getting some counseling for your brother and parents (and you too). It can help in dealing with this injury.

(KLD)

Yes the Univ of Pittsburgh and I know Dr. Boninger is part of that team. I will need to find out what chain of command advised to wait. It could have been the liason from the rehab. There was talk about putting him in a nursing facility until his shoulder is strong enough to go full steam ahead in rehab. This does not seem right to me, but I think having no insurance at the time of accident dictates the length of rehab and the thought is to maximize inpatient rehab. Unfortunately I live in Cary, NC; therefore, my updates come from my parents.

He is in an ICU step down right now to help with controlling the pain. He has a fever and an infection they are currently trying to find. I tlak with him via telephone. He will talk about everything, except his body. I don't want to push him.

What are some questions I can ask his care team?

I cannot thank you enough for your help or this website. There are times when I feel helpless.

Thanks Sara's Mom. I am sorry to be rude.

I am moving through life right now with blinders on to just learn as much as I can ask as much as I can and prepare for as much as I can.

Hi BobbyDylanFan, It sounds like it has been a rollar coaster for you and your family. I have adult children and would be a wreck too.
    I am a hope for the best and prepare for the worse type of person too.
    My husband is a C3 complete since Oct 08 fall.
    It sounds like under the circumstances things are going as well as possible. I am no expert, but you will find a lot of help here. Please keep us posted.

Hi BobbyDylanFan, Sorry you had to find us, but glad you did. The people here are a wonderful resource. Don't be afraid to ask questions. It must be just completely overwhelming right now, but things will settle down. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

An update. Bro is still in hospital. Has a fever and a lung infection. Had a movement of right foot middle of the night last night. He is a fighter. He is my hero.