Thread: Tube feeding problem

Tube feeding problem

My daughter- is a recent C3,C4,C5 (5/27/2010) and is a complete-she has had many problems with digesting the proteins in her tube feed! What happened to her-a very extended/Bloated belly and trouble with her bowels (explosive diarrieha). I insisted that her (dr.) change to a lower-protein formula-which he did-and her bowels did settled down-getting closer to normal-but her belly is still very extended. What do I do now? Ask for a different-tube feed? Why is her belly still so big? she has a very small frame and is having image problems. Advise please
    Last edited by nancygc; 07-16-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Hi Nancy. I would start a new thread with this question so it does not get lost. Then the SCI nurse is sure to see it. Don't be afraid to dive in

Is she at home? In the hospital? What is her actual ASIA level? Why is she on tube feedings at all? Did she have some type of malabsorbtive problem before her SCI? Are you working with a good clinical dietitian? What do they suggest? Have they ruled out Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome? Has she lost a lot of weight since her injury?

(KLD)

Hi Nancy, Can you give SCI nurse more info? Is she only using the tube at night?

My daughter is now eating regular food-tube at night-last week. now she is getting bolus feedings-she is at an LTAC-she does not like the food can't say I blame her. So I bring her favorite foods. She has a very extended belly-I know that-the pain meds do not help! She now has another resp. infection and drs. think she has pneumonia again-so her appeitite is smaller.

Oh Nancy, sorry to hear about the resp infection. Sometimes at this stage for with husband it felt like two steps forward, one step back. Hope you are holding up OK. Take care of yourself too.

My daughter has gained weight-bowls are having problems moving out. Is it the tube feedings or meds? Maybe both? Her doc has ordered her to start having scheduled enemas-next week.

Nancy, welcome to CC. I'm sorry you have to be here though.

I was very surprised & disgusted when I noticed a belly I never had before about a week post sci in rehab. If her food is passing well, it's very likely you guys are seeing the "sci gut". It is where the abdominal muscles are paralyzed, no longer holding in organs & such like they should. Whenever she is able to, an abdominal binder will help keep the stretching down but it won't go away. Even the tiniest bodies usually get this way.

Still though, follow any advice KLD gives & do any necessary tests to make sure it isn't due to intestinal distress.

Best of luck.

Oooops, you posted about bowel problems while I was typing.

Ugh, so sorry.