Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: all those who are on SP please reply

all those who are on SP please reply

I am c6 8 years post injury. my age is 28. From the last six year I am on reflex voiding .After my urodynamic studies my doctor and sci nurse in this forum have advised not to further continue with reflex voiding as it is dangerous to me because of low capacity and high pressure of my bladder. As I cannot do IC at my own so it is not an option for me. Now thinking seriously about changing to superapubic catheter.

All those member in this forum who are on SP please share your experinces with me. I have came to known that is better option than urethral bacuase it prevent urethral damage plus also good for some one who is sexually more active. But I have also came to known that there are so many problems associated with SP. Like the catheter comes out quite often,urine leake out from the stoma and from penis, wounds at stoma and infections.
    Please tell me whether all these problems can potentially occur?
    are there some methods to prevent all these problems?
    I s it a safe option and I should go for it without any fear?
    Or is it dangerous I should not go for it?
    Thanks a lot.

I've been using one for the past nine years and it has been wonderful. If you keep a strap attached to your leg and the tube, you have little to worry about it getting pulled out. The one complaint I have about it is after having it for nine years, I get a lot of sediment so I have to have someone changed the catheter once a week and forget about ever passing a urine test again, you'll be colonized with the same stuff forever. There's no point in treating a UTI with this thing unless you are symptomatic with a fever or some other major problems. My recommendations, get one. It's been my life really simple
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

My husband has had a SP since 12/08 with no problems. I take a few minutes twice a day to clean it and keep gauze on during the day. We change it monthly and is simple after you do it a couple times.

Sarah just got her SP in April 2010. So far she still freaks out about a tube coming out of her belly but she is glad that she did it. It has made it easier for all of us. She was getting infections all the time with an indwelling and none since April. So far, she would say....no regrets!

Her neurosurgeon asked her about her interest in a pace-maker for the bladder. We do not know much about it so we will be talking to the Urologist next week about this option.

Hi,
    It is good to get as much information as you can. You can also do a search using sp tube on this care cure and you will get tons of information, both pro and con.
    I have known many people who have sp tubes and are very happy with their decision.

AAD

Hi asif,
    Since January 2010, I have been pondering getting an SP. I am 28 years post injury and needed to do something, but I struggled with the same questions and concerns that you have. I finally got the SP at the end of June. Unfortunately, my wife and I did not get much support from the urologist or the nursing staff at the hospital. But, we spent many hours researching and reading about SP catheters, clinical/medical journal material and anecdotal accounts available on this website and others. After 3 weeks with the SP, I can say that I am glad that I had it done. It has freed me and my wife from being slaves to intermittent catheterization. Our lives are not centered around a 4-6 hour catheterization schedule around the clock.
    There is an acceptance and learning curve after getting the SP. For us, the first week after the surgery was difficult. We weren't sure what to expect and if we were doing the best and right things to care for the "stoma". Questions: What kind of Foley catheter will be used i.e., latex, silicone, silicone coated latex, teflon coated latex? What size Foley catheter will be used initially? Will I size up or size down the catheter in the future? Stabilize or not stabilize the catheter tubing? If I secure the tubing, where? How do I clean the "stoma" site? How often do I clean and dress the area? Do I use an antibiotic ointment on the "stoma" site? Do I apply a dressing or not? What kind of tape do I use, if I have an adhesive sensitivity? How do we adapt clothing? What kind of leg bag do I use? How often do I change the leg bag? Do I need a night drain bag, what kind, what volume? Where do I purchase the supplies? Do I need an Rx script for the supplies? There are certainly more questions.
    As for the catheter coming out...I can't speak from experience, but I have read and been told that it really takes quite a yank on the catheter or a failure of the expanded balloon inside the bladder for this to happen. Of course, you or your caregiver must exercise caution and handle the catheter gently. This really doesn't happen often. You are probably just reading about the relatively few that do.
    For the first few days after the SP surgery, I had very minor leakage from the penis. I used a urinary pouch to absorb the small amount of leaking I experienced. Since the first week, there hasn't been any leakage either from the penis or the "stoma" site.
    Wounds and infections at the "stoma" site are usually minimal if you practice proper care and cleanliness.
    On the issue of the bladder being chronically colonized with bacteria, I don't believe that colonization has to be a foregone conclusion. There is a lot of discussion on this website about that and you should take the time to search this website for "bladder colonization." You will find opinions and ideas about mitigating colonization by drinking plenty of fluids everyday to taking Vit. C and cranberry juice extract capsules to using electrolyzed water for bladder/catheter flushes when the urine shows signs of infection.
    I would not hesitate to have this procedure done again. I believe it is safe and the right choice for me. It was either try the SP or go straight to a very invasive surgery with a long recovery time. I know I am new to all of this, but I think you will find many fans of the SP on this website.
    Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.
    GJ

It's worth it, but definitely make a plan in advance to deal with emergencies like it coming out at night due to a faulty balloon. (Happened once since I got mine a few years back.)
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by rybread View Post
    I've been using one for the past nine years and it has been wonderful. If you keep a strap attached to your leg and the tube, you have little to worry about it getting pulled out. The one complaint I have about it is after having it for nine years, I get a lot of sediment so I have to have ........., get one. It's been my life really simple
    Thank you all. reply of you all are making me go for sp soon.rybread you are very experienced with sp .
    what about leakage issues?
    is it also a good choice for some one who is very active and young?
    and if one come on sp and he dosnt like it then can he come back on other type of catheter like condom catheter?

I only get leakage when the catheter gets plugged or kinked which does not happen very often so long as you're aware that it's there and make sure you have the tubing or bags fitted onto the catheter properly. It happens to me maybe twice a month, almost always around the stoma, typically from clogged catheter, but that's not every month. As long as I keep up on changing in, that doesn't happen.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

i love my sp catheter!
    much less infections, much easier to clean and take care of!

i do recommend you go for it!
    lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad