Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: working in a chair

working in a chair

for those of you who manage to spend the whole day in your chair, how the hell do you do it??? If I spend more than 5 hours in my chair with out laying in bed and stretching out I'm done. I managed to spend 8 hours in my chair for my buddies wedding and it took me 2 days to feel "normal". I can"t even push my chair cause my spasems are so bad. I'm at the max for bachlofen and my doctor doesn't know what to do.

Do you guys stretch out at work or is it a problem for most people?

When were you injured? What is your level/complete or incomplete of injury?

i was injuered a year ago. think its getting worse. I'm a T3 "complete", i can feel tingling and burning in my ass and lower back if I'm sitting to long, then if I ignore it and don't lay down then the cramping and spasems start.

dewie it's been 2 years for me and i'm t4. i spend the whole day in my chair and always have ever since i got it. yes sometimes i get tired depending what i'm doing but that's it.

Which kind of cushion are you on? Do you do pressure reliefs often? I know if I don't do the pressure reliefs often, then my butt gets sore and I have to get off of it for a while.

I use to spend the entire work day in my chair, then lay down in my van before an evening of classes. It was pretty much overdoing it, but it was also the road to a better life, so I did it. Now I have a tilt chair and it helps a lot, although I probably would have resisted using it at work even if I had it then because of some idiotic feeling that I would look "more disabled."

Dewie, seating tolerance takes time to get used to. 5 hrs becomes 6, 7, etc.

I'm C6-7 quad, I generally spend between 12-14 hrs a day working, life, etc. I do make it a point to stand-up (EZ-Stand) and lift weights (Uppertone) for about 2hrs a day/night and I do try and stretch in bed in the am before getting dressed, etc.

Overall, I find the busier I am the less the pain I and spasticity I suffer so I just try to keep going.

I'll hopefully go skidding into my grave as I use up what's left of this quad body.

Onward and upward, Chris

I'm sitting in tilite ridged chair with a Roho cushion. I can to pressure lifts and put my feet up on a chair and stretch but it doesn't help. It only helps to lay down with my legs straight and on my stomach is best. Is there any other meds that I can along with bachlofen?

sucks wanting to get outside and do stuff, but I'm stuck living life in bed when I'm pretty much able to get out there. I'm sure there are a few guys\gals out there that know what I'm talking about

Do you stand at least an hour daily? Spend at least an hour daily prone (laying on your stomach)? Do daily stretching and ROM exercises? What is your level of injury? Have you seen a good physiatrist who can help you with better spasticity management (Zanaflex, for example)? How much baclofen are you taking? How long post injury are you?? (a complete profile would help a lot!).

I worked with a middle-aged woman who returned to the work place as a full time social worker after her SCI. She had a daily routine of transferring to a couch in the staff lounge to prone and eat her lunch every day at noon. It worked very well for her, and I often joined her there to eat and talk. Perhaps you could look into something like this. Putting in a small mat table or couch in a staff lounge for your use could be considered a (tax deductable) reasonable accomodation by your employer.

(KLD)

I worked full time before I got a baclofen pump. It sucked. It's a lot easier now.